In 2023, a new student classification system was implemented with defined job functions, families, and classifications based on job duties and overall level of responsibility. The intent of the classification system is to provide a more accurate title and description while allowing the opportunity to progress during one’s student employment at the university. The progression is an intersection between the needs of the department and the student employee. The selected classification is determined by the appropriate job family and the position's level of responsibility. It is the expectation that each student position be assigned to the classification that is most accurate. Departments may also use alternate titles when recruiting and/or differentiating roles in their areas.
More information on student employment can be found on the Student Employment website. For more information on the student classification system, please contact Compensation and Classification. For more information on student employment, please contact University Workforce Operations - Student Employment.
Student Job Codes and Minimum Pay
|Jobcode||Family||Classification Title||Minimum Rate|
|S916||Academic Research Support||Academic Research Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S917||Academic Research Support||Academic Research Associate||$ 9.50|
|S918||Academic Research Support||Academic Research Lead||$ 10.50|
|S776||Academic/Career Counseling||Academic/Career Counseling Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S777||Academic/Career Counseling||Academic/Career Counseling Associate||$ 9.50|
|S778||Academic/Career Counseling||Academic/Career Counseling Lead||$ 10.50|
|S760||Accounting||Accounting Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S761||Accounting||Accounting Associate||$ 9.50|
|S762||Accounting||Accounting Lead||$ 10.50|
|S780||Admissions Support||Admissions Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S781||Admissions Support||Admissions Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S782||Admissions Support||Admissions Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S920||Animal Care||Animal Care Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S921||Animal Care||Animal Care Associate||$ 9.50|
|S922||Animal Care||Animal Care Lead||$ 10.50|
|S716||Audiovisual||Audiovisual Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S717||Audiovisual||Audiovisual Associate||$ 9.50|
|S718||Audiovisual||Audiovisual Lead||$ 10.50|
|S820||Bartending||Bartending Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S821||Bartending||Bartending Associate||$ 9.50|
|S822||Bartending||Bartending Lead||$ 10.50|
|S824||Catering||Catering Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S825||Catering||Catering Associate||$ 9.50|
|S826||Catering||Catering Lead||$ 10.50|
|S804||Clinical Laboratory||Clinical Lab Work Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S805||Clinical Laboratory||Clinical Lab Work Associate||$ 9.50|
|S806||Clinical Laboratory||Clinical Lab Work Lead||$ 10.50|
|S808||Clinical Support||Clinical Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S809||Clinical Support||Clinical Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S810||Clinical Support||Clinical Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S700||Communications||Communications Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S701||Communications||Communications Associate||$ 9.50|
|S702||Communications||Communications Lead||$ 10.50|
|S852||Custodial||Custodial Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S853||Custodial||Custodial Associate||$ 9.50|
|S854||Custodial||Custodial Lead||$ 10.50|
|S720||Dance||Dance Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S721||Dance||Dance Associate||$ 9.50|
|S722||Dance||Dance Lead||$ 10.50|
|S764||Data Management||Data Management Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S765||Data Management||Data Management Associate||$ 9.50|
|S766||Data Management||Data Management Lead||$ 10.50|
|S876||Delivery Driver||Delivery Driver Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S877||Delivery Driver||Delivery Driver Associate||$ 9.50|
|S878||Delivery Driver||Delivery Driver Lead||$ 10.50|
|S879||Delivery Driver||Delivery Driver Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S724||Design||Design Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S725||Design||Design Associate||$ 9.50|
|S726||Design||Design Lead||$ 10.50|
|S856||Electronics||Electronics Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S857||Electronics||Electronics Associate||$ 9.50|
|S858||Electronics||Electronics Lead||$ 10.50|
|S744||Event Management||Event Management Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S745||Event Management||Event Management Associate||$ 9.50|
|S746||Event Management||Event Management Lead||$ 10.50|
|S704||Faculty Support||Faculty Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S705||Faculty Support||Faculty Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S706||Faculty Support||Faculty Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S880||Field Services||Field Services Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S881||Field Services||Field Services Associate||$ 9.50|
|S882||Field Services||Field Services Lead||$ 10.50|
|S883||Field Services||Field Services Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S828||Food Service||Food Service Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S829||Food Service||Food Service Associate||$ 9.50|
|S830||Food Service||Food Service Lead||$ 10.50|
|S831||Food Service||Food Service Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S924||Grants Administration||Grants Administration Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S925||Grants Administration||Grants Administration Associate||$ 9.50|
|S926||Grants Administration||Grants Administration Lead||$ 10.50|
|S860||Groundskeeping||Groundskeeping Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S861||Groundskeeping||Groundskeeping Associate||$ 9.50|
|S862||Groundskeeping||Groundskeeping Lead||$ 10.50|
|S748||Health and Nutrition||Health and Nutrition Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S749||Health and Nutrition||Health and Nutrition Associate||$ 9.50|
|S750||Health and Nutrition||Health and Nutrition Lead||$ 10.50|
|S864||Housekeeping||Housekeeping Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S865||Housekeeping||Housekeeping Associate||$ 9.50|
|S866||Housekeeping||Housekeeping Lead||$ 10.50|
|S768||Human Resources Support||Human Resources Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S769||Human Resources Support||Human Resources Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S770||Human Resources Support||Human Resources Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S784||Instruction||Instructional Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S785||Instruction||Instructional Associate||$ 9.50|
|S786||Instruction||Instructional Lead||$ 10.50|
|S945||Inventory Management||Inventory Management Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S946||Inventory Management||Inventory Management Associate||$ 9.50|
|S947||Inventory Management||Inventory Management Lead||$ 10.50|
|S836||IT Specialties||IT Specialties Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S837||IT Specialties||IT Specialties Associate||$ 9.50|
|S838||IT Specialties||IT Specialties Lead||$ 10.50|
|S840||IT Support||IT Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S841||IT Support||IT Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S842||IT Support||IT Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S928||Laboratory Research||Laboratory Research Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S929||Laboratory Research||Laboratory Research Associate||$ 9.50|
|S930||Laboratory Research||Laboratory Research Lead||$ 10.50|
|S868||Laundry||Laundry Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S869||Laundry||Laundry Associate||$ 9.50|
|S870||Laundry||Laundry Lead||$ 10.50|
|S844||Law Library Support||Law Library Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S845||Law Library Support||Law Library Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S846||Law Library Support||Law Library Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S932||Law Research||Law Research Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S848||Library Support||Library Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S849||Library Support||Library Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S850||Library Support||Library Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S949||Mail & Parcel Distribution||Mail & Parcel Distribution Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S950||Mail & Parcel Distribution||Mail & Parcel Distribution Associate||$ 9.50|
|S951||Mail & Parcel Distribution||Mail & Parcel Distribution Lead||$ 10.50|
|S872||Maintenance||Maintenance Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S873||Maintenance||Maintenance Associate||$ 9.50|
|S874||Maintenance||Maintenance Lead||$ 10.50|
|S875||Maintenance||Maintenance Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S772||Marketing||Marketing Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S773||Marketing||Marketing Associate||$ 9.50|
|S774||Marketing||Marketing Lead||$ 10.50|
|S884||Mechanical||Mechanical Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S885||Mechanical||Mechanical Associate||$ 9.50|
|S886||Mechanical||Mechanical Lead||$ 10.50|
|S887||Mechanical||Mechanical Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S728||Museum||Museum Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S729||Museum||Museum Associate||$ 9.50|
|S730||Museum||Museum Lead||$ 10.50|
|S732||Music||Music Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S733||Music||Music Associate||$ 9.50|
|S734||Music||Music Lead||$ 10.50|
|S708||Office Support||Office Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S709||Office Support||Office Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S710||Office Support||Office Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S888||Parking Attendant||Parking Attendant Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S889||Parking Attendant||Parking Attendant Associate||$ 9.50|
|S890||Parking Attendant||Parking Attendant Lead||$ 10.50|
|S812||Patient Care||Patient Care Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S813||Patient Care||Patient Care Associate||$ 9.50|
|S814||Patient Care||Patient Care Lead||$ 10.50|
|S816||Pharmaceutical Distribution||Pharmaceutical Distribution Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S817||Pharmaceutical Distribution||Pharmaceutical Distribution Associate||$ 9.50|
|S818||Pharmaceutical Distribution||Pharmaceutical Distribution Lead||$ 10.50|
|S788||Proctor||Proctor Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S789||Proctor||Proctor Associate||$ 9.50|
|S790||Proctor||Proctor Lead||$ 10.50|
|S712||Program Support||Program Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S713||Program Support||Program Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S714||Program Support||Program Support Lead||$ 10.50|
|S892||Public Transportation Driver||Public Transportation Driver Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S893||Public Transportation Driver||Public Transportation Driver Associate||$ 9.50|
|S894||Public Transportation Driver||Public Transportation Driver Lead||$ 10.50|
|S904||Recreational Instruction||Recreational Instruction Level 1||$ 8.50|
|S905||Recreational Instruction||Recreational Instruction Level 2||$ 9.50|
|S906||Recreational Instruction||Recreational Instruction Level 3||$ 10.50|
|S907||Recreational Instruction||Recreational Instruction Level 4||$ 11.50|
|S908||Recreational Operations||Recreational Operations Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S909||Recreational Operations||Recreational Operations Associate||$ 9.50|
|S910||Recreational Operations||Recreational Operations Lead||$ 10.50|
|S911||Recreational Operations||Recreational Operations Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S912||Recreational Programming||Recreational Programming Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S913||Recreational Programming||Recreational Programming Associate||$ 9.50|
|S914||Recreational Programming||Recreational Programming Lead||$ 10.50|
|S915||Recreational Programming||Recreational Programming Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S933||Research Administration||Research Administration Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S934||Research Administration||Research Administration Associate||$ 9.50|
|S935||Research Administration||Research Administration Lead||$ 10.50|
|S832||Retail Operations||Retail Operations Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S833||Retail Operations||Retail Operations Associate||$ 9.50|
|S834||Retail Operations||Retail Operations Lead||$ 10.50|
|S835||Retail Operations||Retail Operations Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S937||Safety & Security Dispatcher||Safety & Security Dispatcher Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S938||Safety & Security Dispatcher||Safety & Security Dispatcher Associate||$ 9.50|
|S939||Safety & Security Dispatcher||Safety & Security Dispatcher Lead||$ 10.50|
|S941||Security||Security Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S942||Security||Security Associate||$ 9.50|
|S943||Security||Security Lead||$ 10.50|
|S944||Security||Security Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S752||Sports Management||Sports Management Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S753||Sports Management||Sports Management Associate||$ 9.50|
|S754||Sports Management||Sports Management Lead||$ 10.50|
|S756||Sports Performance||Sports Performance Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S757||Sports Performance||Sports Performance Associate||$ 9.50|
|S758||Sports Performance||Sports Performance Lead||$ 10.50|
|S792||Student Support Services||Student Support Services Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S793||Student Support Services||Student Support Services Associate||$ 9.50|
|S794||Student Support Services||Student Support Services Lead||$ 10.50|
|S736||Theater||Theater Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S737||Theater||Theater Associate||$ 9.50|
|S738||Theater||Theater Lead||$ 10.50|
|S896||Transit Dispatcher||Transit Dispatcher Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S897||Transit Dispatcher||Transit Dispatcher Associate||$ 9.50|
|S898||Transit Dispatcher||Transit Dispatcher Lead||$ 10.50|
|S899||Transit Dispatcher||Transit Dispatcher Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S900||Transit Operations||Transit Operations Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S901||Transit Operations||Transit Operations Associate||$ 9.50|
|S902||Transit Operations||Transit Operations Lead||$ 10.50|
|S903||Transit Operations||Transit Operations Supervisor||$ 11.50|
|S796||Tutoring||Tutoring Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S797||Tutoring||Tutoring Associate||$ 9.50|
|S798||Tutoring||Tutoring Lead||$ 10.50|
|S740||Video Technician||Video Technician Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S741||Video Technician||Video Technician Associate||$ 9.50|
|S742||Video Technician||Video Technician Lead||$ 10.50|
|S800||Writing Support||Writing Support Assistant||$ 8.50|
|S801||Writing Support||Writing Support Associate||$ 9.50|
|S802||Writing Support||Writing Support Lead||$ 10.50|
Requires basic knowledge and minimal experience. Job characteristics typically include:
- Work is closely supervised.
- Work is routine or follows standard procedures.
Requires intermediate knowledge of job procedures and tools obtained through training, work experience, or schoolwork. Job characteristics typically include:
- Works under moderate supervision.
- Problems are typically routine but may require interpretation or deviation from standard procedures.
Requires proficient and comprehensive knowledge of operational procedures and tools obtained through extensive training and/or work experience. Job characteristics typically include:
- Works under limited supervision for routine situations.
- Problems faced are sometimes moderately difficult or complex.
- May provide functional supervision and training to student employees.
- Serves as the lead for a group of student employees.
- Displays advanced expertise in the responsibilities of the job family.
Requires advanced knowledge of operational procedures and tools obtained through extensive training and work experience. Job characteristics typically include:
- Works under limited supervision for non-routine situations and is often responsible for leading daily operations.
- Problems faced are typically moderately difficult or complex.
- Trains, delegates, and reviews the work of student employees. Ensures policies, practices, and procedures are understood and followed by direct reports, customers, and stakeholders.
*The supervisor level is specific to areas where there is a need due to lack of staff available during the work shifts. Therefore, only select job families that include the supervisor level.
Supports the general administrative functions of a wide variety of academic or administrative offices including answering phone calls and emails, interacting with visitors, customers, staff, and others. Performs duties including telemarketing, coordinating calendars, word processing, data entry, assisting documents and reports preparation, searching/organizing/maintaining information.
- Communications: Assists with planning, developing, coordinating, and implementing communication projects that represent the department goals. Works to achieve day-to-day objectives, supports communication projects and tasks by using established procedures and best practices. Brainstorms, creates, and develops content to distribute using diverse materials and channels, including print, digital, broadcast, and social media. Assists in planning social media campaigns and advertising departmental efforts to build relationships with students, faculty, staff, news media, alumni, current and prospective donors, policymakers, professional and industry partners, Iowa residents, parents, prospective students, and other external and internal audiences. Supervises the development of press releases, monitors media coverage, and attends both external and internal events.
- Faculty Support: Provides administrative and operational support to faculty to ensure a safe and stimulating educational environment. Assists in classroom and lab preparation for daily activities and aids instructional efforts. Assists in preparing lesson outlines, plans, curricula, and safety protocols in assigned areas. Grades assignments and projects as needed.
- Office Support: Contributes to the department's success by providing administrative services through coordination and support of operations. Answers phone calls, schedules meetings, and assists visitors. Performs administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning, etc. Serves as the primary contact for department members, faculty, staff, students, donors, and the public.
- Program Support: Coordinates and provides support in preparation, setup, and programming. Provides support and collaborates in the planning, development, implementation, analysis, and documentation of projects. Identifies and analyzes the program's needs, providing administrative support to team members throughout the planning and implementation of programs. Assists the program management team by supporting administrative or clerical activities for the group, including filing and sorting documents, drafting documentation related to the program and official communication lines, and taking messages. Supervises programs, handles technical challenges, supports events, and manages clients.
Supports the education, research, and outreach missions of the university through conceptualizing, realizing, and promoting the active, creative, research, and cultural work of faculty, staff, and students.
- Audiovisual: Supports faculty, staff, and students by assisting with equipment including audiovisual, computers, etc. for classroom or conference presentations. Assists classrooms and meeting technology staff through familiarity with AV systems, laptop, desktop computers, Windows, Mac OS, and Microsoft Office Suite. Provides AV and computer system support for the operation, setup, and support of equipment, and provides routine maintenance and troubleshooting of AV equipment.
- Dance: Provides dance instruction, event support, videography, choreography, or training related to the education and events taking place within the University of Iowa Department of Dance. Assists in the preparation, execution, marketing, or stage management of dance events to ensure a professional and pleasant atmosphere for patrons during public performances.
- Design: Works with university and outside clients to create work for UI departments, student organizations, and external customers. Focuses on marketing, design, strategic communication, campaign development, photography, videography, and website design and development. Directly produces materials or assists in the production and presentation of deliverables.
- Music: Provides music instruction, faculty and musician support, or training related to the education and events taking place within the Department of Music and off campus. Assists in the preparation, execution, marketing, or management of music events to ensure a professional and pleasant atmosphere for patrons during public performances and presentations by university orchestras, bands, or ensembles.
- Museum: Supports the operation of campus museums and plays a role in the education, research, and engagement missions of the UI. Provides operational support to the UI and the broader community through exhibits, educational programming, and research collections. Guides visitors through museum exhibits with in-person and virtual tours and provides administrative support for all museum operations.
- Theater: Provides instruction, faculty support, and/or training related to acting, directing, design, playwriting, dramaturgy, or stage management. Supports the development of new plays by students, faculty, or distinguished guides and provides administrative support and planning for events. Assists the scene shop in the construction, installation, and striking of scenery of main stage shows.
- Video Technician: Performs Videographer responsibilities including filming and editing performances, events, and ceremonies.
Supports the general functions of a wide variety of athletic teams and events including providing event management, health and nutrition, sports management, and sport performance assistance and interacting with visitors, customers, staff, student athletes, and others.
- Event Management: Coordinates and provides support in preparation, setup, and programming. Provides support and collaborates in the planning and execution of all Athletics home competitions. Coordinate pre-planning activities, provide administrative support to team members, handle technical challenges, support events (assist with officials), and manage clients by acting as a liaison between Athletics units, University service units, organizations, and community.
- Health and Nutrition: Assists athletic teams in aspects of hydration or nutritional health. Duties include transporting/gathering supplies, assisting with distribution, ensuring safe handling, preparation and serving food, drink, and nourishments, etc. Assists with the delivery and restocking of items for refueling stations located across athletic facilities. Follow HIPAA/FERPA.
- Sports Management: Assists athletic teams by handling many behind-the-scenes organizational tasks critical to the program's success. Serves as paid student team manager. Comes early to assist with practice set up and stays after practice is complete to put away any equipment used during practice. Assists where needed for home events, practices, and scouting, reports data analytics and statistics, assists with other administrative tasks as needed.
- Sports Performance: Assist the full-time athletic trainers with creating treatment and rehabilitation plans for student-athletes, set-up, and tear down of hydration equipment and athletic training needs for workouts, cleaning, and care of the athletic training room. Other duties as assigned. Must have bachelor's degree and currently enrolled in a graduate program.
Follows business principles, policies, and procedures to support the general business administration functions of administrative units in accounting, business data management and analytics, human resources, or marketing. Duties include preparing reports, researching/analyzing/organizing information and data, processing transactions, and contributing to the team by assisting in planning, coordinating, and accomplishing related results.
- Accounting: Provides support in the process of recording, summarizing, and reporting financial transactions, which may include processing transactions, assisting with preparation of financial reports, review/reconciliation of accounting entries or statements, initiating basic and/or routine original and correcting journal entries, as well as daily operational needs of the organization, department, or unit.
- Data Management: Provides support in transforming data into actionable insights to inform the institution's academic, administrative, health care and research decisions, processes, and projects. Collaborates with internal customers to assist in defining and documenting data, analytics, and modeling requirements. Assists in the preparation, cleansing, and verification of data; fulfills ad-hoc data requests, performs basic data manipulation and analysis techniques, creates reports, and schedules data extracts as well as daily operational needs of the department, project, or program.
- Human Resources: Provides support in many areas of Human Resources including recruitment, hiring, and retention of employees, employee engagement, performance management, compensation, benefits, learning and development, and employee changes during their employment lifecycle. Gathers data and tracks employee information in support of HR practices/policies; provides initial guidance regarding basic policies and practices; gathers and compiles information to support the recruitment and onboarding process; tracks performance reviews to assure completion; generates and distributes reports; gathers information and monitors compliance requirements as directed as well as daily operational needs of the organization, department, or unit.
- Marketing: Provides support in the planning, coordinating, and implementation of promotional and marketing needs that could include a mix of digital and social media. Performs basic data analysis and research for specific questions and/or tactics for marketing plans. Develops and performs specific tasks related to marketing plans (e.g., write advertising copy, design brochures, create video, prepare draft brief, etc.). Organizes and monitors project work, tracks progress, and ensures completion timeliness and daily operational needs of the department, project, or program.
Supports educational, enrollment, retention, and other academic activities of the university that promotes student engagement and supports student success by working as an instructor, counselor, tutor, proctor, interviewer, tour guide, etc. in the college offices and central academic support departments.
- Academic/Career Counseling: Assists students in identifying their interests, abilities, and academic goals and in making decisions regarding their academic career. Introduces students to opportunities intended to enrich their academic experience, facilitates their academic and personal development, and supports their educational success. Integrates interpersonal and communication skills with knowledge of curricula, policies (departmental, collegiate, and university), resources, and student development to help students identify options, set academic, developmental, and career goals, and make progress toward those goals.
- Admissions Support: Supports the student experience by providing information about the campus and the community. Leads tour groups for current and prospective students and their families. Serves as a resource when students have questions about the university experience. Provides services to help ensure a smooth transition to university life for new students.
- Instruction: Teaches and supervises students using lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory workshop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects. Assists in the development of curriculum, teaching materials, and course outlines.
- Proctor: Supports setting up test rooms, recording attendance, preventing improper conduct, the use of unauthorized aids or tools during an exam, and ensuring that all exams are turned in on time. Maintains the academic integrity of the organization and of the exams our faculty administers. Supervises the exam room to ensure that policies and guidelines are followed by all.
- Student Support Services: Supports programs and services to enhance and support the holistic student experience. Fosters a sense of community and engagement by providing programs, services, and individual student contact. Strengthens the student experience to enhance recruitment, academic excellence, and post-graduation careers. May assist with schoolwork and everyday student living.
- Tutoring: Provides students with individualized assistance to help them learn new concepts and complete assignments. Responsible for leading one-on-one or small group lessons that cater to the needs and goals of their students. Duties include studying lesson plans and reviewing textbooks to prepare for a lesson, assigning additional projects, and answering student questions.
- Writing Support: Supports students at writing centers to develop essential writing skills on journal articles, writing samples, etc. by research, writing, edits, and proofs. Supports communication strategy to targeted audiences through the creative development and delivery of content. Writes and publishes information aimed at diverse audiences, ranging from the media to the public, tailoring the message and content to maximize effectiveness. Conducts fact-finding and accurately records information. Attends to client needs and clearly understands client needs. Performs quality checks of work.
Supports a variety of health care services. Duties include direct patient care, distribution of pharmaceutical products, clinical lab work or specimen (including blood) contact, and testing, processing, admitting, and transporting, etc.
- Clinical Laboratory: Supports and performs clinical laboratory work. Assists in collecting, testing, and analyzing body fluids, tissue, and other substances. Performs cleaning, routine maintenance and other related lab work in a clinical, environmental, teaching, or research laboratory.
- Clinical Support: Supports clinical environment by performing routine tasks in a clinical setting. Duties may include greeting or checking in patients, answering phone calls, transporting patients, stocking supplies and cleaning rooms. May provide direct patient observation and/or assist with preparation for patient admissions, transfers and discharges.
- Patient Care: Assists members of the health care team with patient care activities in inpatient or outpatient care areas. Duties may include obtaining and recording vital signs, performing therapeutic procedures, providing comfort measures, providing direct patient observation, assisting with admission and discharge, serving food, drink, and nourishments, and transporting patients, equipment, specimens, and supplies.
- Pharmaceutical Distribution: Assists activities associated with drug distribution and control for inpatient/outpatient and clinic patient dispensing.
Provides services in food/drink preparation and distribution, catering, and retail operations. Interacts with university faculty, staff, students, patients, and visitors and represents the department with a focus on excellent customer service.
- Bartending: Serves beverages according to standard procedure and quantity, set up, and cleanup of bar. Follows cash handling procedures for payments of beverage items, and checks identification of age.
- Catering: Includes set up, service, and cleanup of catering events on and off campus.
- Food Service: Includes food and beverage preparation and distribution, washing dishes, maintaining kitchen operations, food supplies, and assisting with catered events.
- Retail Operations: Manages general product sales for food, beverages, books, apparel, gifts, and more. Stocks merchandise and cleans and sanitizes product and service areas in dining and retail areas. Cleans and maintains equipment used to display and complete sales. Provides cashiering in compliance with cash handling procedures.
Operates computers and uses/maintains software applications to provide general IT support or assists in producing information assets and creative solutions in academic/research/administration departments.
- IT Support: Provides technical support to users by researching and answering questions, troubleshooting problems, and maintaining equipment, system, and network performance. Provides answers to clients by identifying problems, researching answers, and guiding faculty, staff, and students through corrective steps.
- IT Specialties: Provides information technology support in the specialty areas of application programming, database administration, data analytics and business intelligence, infrastructure, security, network, information, and systems administration.
Supports library functions and operations which includes facilitating user requests and concerns at a public service point, performing technical tasks both physical and digital, and processing requests and materials.
- Library Support: Assists library users in the operations and functions of the campus libraries. Assists with physical and digital materials questions, requests, and processes. Performs behind the scenes processing, preservation, or other operational tasks. Uses specialized equipment, software, or programs.
- Law Library Support: Provides law and library information resources and services in the College of Law. Shelves books, catalogs, checks materials in and out of library, conducts library reference searches, and performs archival research in the Law Library.
Performs a variety of tasks related to the cleanliness, functionality, and appearance of university buildings, grounds, equipment, supplies, and property.
- Custodial: Performs custodial responsibilities for the general maintenance of buildings. Duties may include vacuuming, shampooing, mopping, scrubbing, polishing, washing, stocking supplies, replacing light bulbs, and making beds.
- Electronics: Assembles and prepares electronic instrumentation of circuit boards and basic design of electronics. Orders and stocks electronic parts, acting as a troubleshooter for electronic equipment.
- Groundskeeping: Performs a variety of tasks to maintain campus landscape and grounds. Duties may include mowing, trimming, raking, shoveling, trimming, cultivating, and operating associated equipment.
- Housekeeping: Performs housekeeping responsibilities to maintain an attractive appearance of bedrooms, bathrooms, and furniture. Duties may include vacuuming, shampooing, dusting, scrubbing, polishing, making beds, and related activities.
- Laundry: Washes, dries, irons, and presses materials such as sheets, pillowcases, aprons, operating room linens, towels, and shirts.
- Maintenance: Performs general operational laboring duties as assigned. Performs manual, hand tool, and equipment work to assist in construction and maintenance, building and utility maintenance, furniture and equipment moving and set up, etc.
Operates parking and transportation services for students, faculty/staff, and visitors of the university. Provides superior customer service and safe, efficient transport to customers with adherence to all university, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Delivery Driver: Follows routes and time schedule, loading, transporting, and delivering items to different campus locations.
- Field Services: Issues parking citations, directs traffic, assists motorists, and operates a motor vehicle.
- Mechanical: Assists maintenance technicians in inspecting, maintaining, overhauling, repairing, and adjusting gas- or diesel-powered vehicles and equipment.
- Parking Attendant: Parks cars, monitors meters and issues citations, manages cash register, directs traffic, assists motorists, drives university vehicles, etc.
- Transit Dispatcher: Monitors and maintains the proper operation of all transit services by supervision of the transit operators and responding to service issues and public inquiries.
- Transit Operations: Supports campus transportation operations through logistical planning, directing resources, training and/or supervising employees, and safety monitoring and promotion. Completes documentation and prepares reports relating to transportation performance, incidents, accidents, and safety.
- Transportation Driver: Follows a planned route, transports people, makes scheduled stops, and answers questions about the route. Communicates with the dispatcher via two-way radio during the route. Provides updates to the dispatcher and reports emergencies, traffic patterns, or accidents. May train and/or supervise new student staff, including monitoring and evaluating performance, responding to safety issues, etc.
Supports the instructional, programming, and operational work within recreation to serve the campus community. Positions may include working in one of the following areas: adventure recreation, aquatics, facility operations, fitness, rowing, sport programs, or tennis. Each area will have specific job responsibilities to successfully support their function.
- Recreational Instruction: Provides private and/or group instruction for specific recreational programs and services offered on campus.
- Recreational Operations: Supports daily operations at the indoor/outdoor recreational facilities on campus.
- Recreational Programming: Supports daily recreation programming on campus.
Supports research activities by assisting in grants administration, compliance management, experiments, investigations, literature review, data analysis or evaluations.
- Academic Research Support: Assists with academic research and projects. Duties may include organizing and maintaining research data, documentation and compliances, analysis of data and/or evaluations, create agendas, prepare mailings, conduct phone sessions with research participants, assist with field research, provide technical assistance, assist with presentation and publication preparation.
- Animal Care: Assists with the care of university animals. Duties may include transporting, watering, feeding, cage cleaning, maintaining data and documentation, and basic data entry.
- Grants Administration: Provides administrative and technical assistance with grant preparation and review. May serve as a liaison between grant administration and researcher.
- Laboratory Research: Provides laboratory assistance including solution preparation, equipment cleaning, washing and maintenance, monitoring tests and experiments in a supervised academic research setting, 3-D printing, fabricating, cataloging, and cleaning field equipment, and data entry.
- Law Research: College of Law Research Assistant (LRA) positions are primarily intended as learning experiences, which contribute to a student’s progress toward their program of study. This is a unique classification for students currently enrolled in the College of Law.
- Research Administration: Provides administrative support of research office functions and operations. Performs administrative duties such as triaging phone calls, scheduling meetings, filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning, etc. Serves as primary contact for department members and assists with office reception/welcome desk. May assist with basic budget review.
Promotes and supports the safety and security of UI faculty, staff, students, patients, visitors, property, and equipment. Duties may include dispatch, patrolling, monitoring alarm systems, responding to requests, and providing effective communications to university stakeholders.
- Safety and Security Dispatcher: Provides communications utilizing multi-frequency radio, teletype, telephone, personal contact, and other means. Monitors university emergency phones and alarm systems. Responds to service requests and public inquiries. Tabulates data and completes operational reports.
- Security: Monitors assigned area to ensure protection of people, property, and equipment. Controls and monitors access in and out of university buildings and monitors alarm systems. Reports disorderly or suspicious behavior and attempts to control the situation.
Supports supply chain operations and assures compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Duties may include inventory management, sorting mail, parcel distribution, and related activities.
- Inventory Management: Provides inventory and storekeeping management in compliance with OSHA standards and universal precaution policies, when applicable, of both sterile and nonsterile products including storekeeping duties, restocking supplies and carts, reprocessing instruments, etc.
- Mail and Parcel Distribution: Provides courier and/or delivery of mail, supplies, and other materials, confidential and otherwise, to areas within the department and the university. Duties include sorting, distributing and opening mail and other parcels.