Payroll Services

Campus Address
120-30 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building, Suite 30
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States

Calls answered Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
In-person meetings by appointment only

Address Changes

Information and guidelines for keeping your residing and campus addresses up to date.

Advance on My Pay

Payroll Services is not authorized to give you an advance on your next paycheck unless you weren't paid, were not paid correctly, or have terminated employment with the University of Iowa. (Reference Salary Advances, University Policy Manual.)


University Benefits provides comprehensive benefit-related services for faculty, staff, students, and retirees. Benefits include health, dental, life, disability, accidental death and dismemberment, long-term care, health and dependent care spending accounts, retirement plans, leaves of absence, catastrophic leave and donations, workers' compensation, vacation, sick leave, and a web based enrollment system. 

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is mandatory.

Your paycheck will be deposited on your payday unless payday falls on a weekend day or a holiday. If your payday is a weekend day or a holiday, your paycheck will be deposited on the first banking day after the weekend or holiday. For instance, if your payday falls on Saturday your paycheck will be deposited on Monday, unless Monday is a bank holiday, in which case the deposit will be Tuesday.

To set up or change your bank information, go to Employee Self Service to complete an interactive direct deposit form that will electronically update your payroll records. For additional instructions on setting up your direct deposit, see Setting Up Direct Deposit (pdf).

You may distribute your pay up to a total of three direct deposit accounts. Multiple direct deposit accounts must be set up or changed on Employee Self Service. Please visit setting up multiple direct deposits and multiple direct deposit examples for more information.

Direct deposit accounts cannot be set up for banking institutions outside the United States.

Deadline for changes is 12 p.m. (noon) four business days prior to the payday.  

For additional information contact Sagey Sway at 319-467-1620.

Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)

New hires and rehires must complete the Form I-9 in person with their department representative using the I-9 Management System. The form must be completed within the first three days of paid employment. Additionally, certain situations may require an employee to reverify employment eligibility (section 3 of Form I-9). Please refer to Faculty and Staff Immigration Services for more information.

Employment Verification

The university uses The Work Number from Equifax Services to verify current or past employment for UI faculty, staff, and U.S. students (International Student and Scholar Services verifies employment of international students). Learn how to use this service to verify employment or income to lenders, banks, property rental companies, and others.

Extra Compensation

If an employee or an employee’s department requests that an extra compensation payment be paid outside of the employee’s regular payroll, the payment is subject to supplemental tax withholding.  Supplemental withholding rates are 22 percent for federal tax and 5.7 percent for Iowa tax. If appropriate, Social Security and Medicare taxes also will be withheld at 6.2 percent and 1.45 percent, respectively.

For example, if an employee who is normally paid on the first of the month makes a request for extra compensation to be paid by an off-cycle payroll, the tax will be withheld at the supplemental rates. If the employee elects to have the extra compensation payment paid with their next monthly payroll, the tax is computed using the graduated withholding tables. 

Fellowship Payments

Individuals who receive fellowship payments through University of Iowa Payroll Services should review the fellowship payment rules that apply.


The University of Iowa adheres to all regulations regarding all types of garnishments. For information on child support garnishments or other garnishments, contact June Lester at 319-335-2383 or Jill Henecke at 319-335-0392.

Gift Certificates

Gift certificates of any amount given to an employee may have tax implications and should be reported to Payroll Services. The Taxable Items Worksheet (docx) can be used for the reporting. Gift cards cannot be given to reward employee performance. Gift cards given to an employee cannot exceed $500 within the calendar year. Please reference University Guidelines for Cash Awards and Gift Certificates for additional information or contact Terri Hein at 319-335-2374.

HR Unit Representative

Your HR unit representative is an excellent resource for questions about your employment. You can find your HR unit rep by clicking My HR Unit Rep on Employee Self Service.

ID Cards

Your University of Iowa photo ID Card is your official identification card, providing access to facilities and academic services across campus. For information about your ID card, please visit the Iowa One® Card website.

Identity Theft and Tax Fraud

The University of Iowa encourages employees to remain vigilant and pro-active in protecting personal information.   

Two-Step Login protects user and institutional data by requiring users of university systems including Employee Self Service to login using their HawkIDs and passwords and a device only they possess (usually a mobile phone). This prevents unauthorized access using stolen credentials.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has developed a website with identity theft information. The easy-to-use site includes step-by-step guidance for victims of identity theft (not just tax fraud), sample letters, and contact information for different accounts such as investment, student loans, utilities etc. In addition, Iowa Department of Revenue provides information on identity theft and reporting fraud.

Independent Contractors

Independent contractors generally possess special knowledge and skills and perform short-term or intermittent work not performed by employees. They are not supervised by university employees (and don't supervise UI staff), and they provide similar services for other hiring organizations. Learn more about how to distinguish independent contractors from employees and correctly make payments to independent contractors.

Jury Duty

When an employee receives compensation from the clerk of court for jury duty service, they must reimburse the University of Iowa for their time away from work. Jurors are paid a daily rate plus mileage. The daily rate amount should be turned over to the University. The employee should restrictively endorse the check from the court by writing "Pay to the order of the University of Iowa" and signing their name on the back of the check. The check should be sent to Payroll Services, 120-30 USB, along with the employee's name and ID number.

If the payment includes mileage, the employee should cash their jury duty check and then write a personal check to the University of Iowa for the amount of the jury payment, excluding mileage. Send the check to Payroll Services, 120-30 USB.

For county court, two days of jury service would be $60. Grand jury and federal court payments may be a different daily amount than county court. For additional information, contact Sagey Sway at 319-467-1620.

Lost or Damaged Payroll Checks

If your paper payroll check is lost or damaged, you will need to contact Payroll Services to report it and to request a reissue of that check. The replacement check will be available for pick up at Payroll Services in 120-30 USB.

Name Changes

Name changes for current or former students must be processed through the Registrar Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Follow instructions on the request for name change form.

Faculty/staff (who are not current or former students) should use Employee Self Service to make name changes. Please refer to the  name and address change guidelines for additional information. 

Federal regulations state that the name on your payroll payments and your W-2 should match the name on your Social Security card. You must change your name with Social Security before changing your name with the University of Iowa. The local Social Security Administration office is located at 1100 6th Street, Suite 100, in Coralville.

Nonresident Alien Taxation

The University of Iowa adheres to all tax regulations for employees with nonresident alien and resident alien status. For more information, email


When an active employee is overpaid, the amount of the overpayment will be deducted from the employee's next check. If the amount of the overpayment is greater than the next check, a letter will be sent to the employee regarding the remaining overpayment. The balance due should be sent to University Billing and payment(s) made through that office.

If the overpaid employee is no longer working at the university or is on an extended leave, they will receive a letter from Payroll Services regarding the overpayment. The balance due should be sent to University Billing and payment(s) made through that office.

Once the overpayment is paid in full, all necessary adjustments to the employee's earnings and taxes withheld will be made. If the overpayment is not paid in full in the same calendar year as the overpayment occurred, the W-2 issued in the year the overpayment occurred will not be correct.

If the overpayment is repaid in a different calendar year than when the overpayment occurred, the employee will receive a corrected W-2 for adjustments for Social Security and Medicare taxes if appropriate (the corrected W-2 is for the employee's records only). They will also receive a receipt for the amount repaid—this will need to be attached to their personal income tax return for the year in which the overpayment was repaid.

Please refer to the  best practices guide for preventing overpayments for additional information, or contact June Lester at 319-335-2383.

Pay Adjustments

Your paycheck on the first of each month is for your salary earned the previous calendar month. If you are eligible for overtime, shift pay, etc., these pay adjustments are paid on the biweekly payroll schedule.  For more information on these biweekly pay adjustments, please refer to the Timely Pay FAQs.

Paycheck Deductions

Certain deductions are made on employees' checks. Some university offices initiate the deductions or adjustments. For specific information about:

Paycheck Earning Statements (Paycheck Stubs)

Employees may access and print copies of their earning statements (paycheck stubs) from Employee Self Service. These statements are listed in View Paycheck History under the Payroll Tab. You can view and print copies of statements from this site. You will need to have Two-Step Login enabled in order to access this information.

Paycheck Taxes

The university must withhold four kinds of taxes from your paycheck.

  • Social Security tax is 6.2 percent of your salary to a maximum salary of $168,600 for 2024.
  • Medicare tax is 1.45 percent of salary up to $200,000 and 2.35 percent for wages in excess of $200,000 paid in the calendar year.
  • Federal tax is based on how the Federal Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate, is completed.
  • State tax withholding is calculated based upon what is claimed on the state W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificates. On these certificates, the more allowances claimed the less tax withheld.  If zero allowances are claimed, the maximum tax is withheld.

Visit the tax information page for more, or contact Rachel Quinlan at 319-353-2097.

Payday Information

Salaried employees are paid monthly on the first of each month. When payday falls on a weekend or holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the first of the month.

Your paycheck on the first of each month is for your salary earned in the previous calendar month. If you are eligible for overtime, shift pay, etc., these pay adjustments are paid on the biweekly payroll schedule.

Academic year appointments are paid in twelve installments, Aug. 1 through July 1. New faculty are paid for two-twelfths of their pay on Sept. 1 (for the months of July and August.)

Semester appointments are paid in five installments. First semester is paid on Sept. 1 through Jan. 1, and second semester is paid Feb. 1 through June 1.

Hourly employees are paid biweekly on every other Tuesday. When the biweekly payday falls on a holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the payday.

You can find detailed information and payroll schedules for pay period dates, time record due dates and check issue dates under the payroll calendars section.

Payment Determination Guidelines

Payments to university employees, students, and others include regular compensation, scholarships, fellowship stipends, and reimbursement for education and travel expenses. See this guide to various kinds of payments, including processing systems, tax implications, and more: Payment Determination Summary  In addition, this matrix can be used if needing to determine if purchase of tangible items >$100 are taxable.

Research Subject Payments

Please see UI policy on research subject payments for more information. Research subject payments are created using a Non-Services eVoucher in the ePro System.

Retirement Contributions

University of Iowa staff members except students, medical house staff, fellows, adjunct faculty, and temporary staff with short-term appointments of less than six months are required to participate in the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS), or in the university funded retirement plan with Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association Fund (TIAA). Review retirement plan comparisons for annual contribution rates.

Staff members also may elect to participate in the Voluntary Retirement Savings Program (VRSP). If you have more than one employer and have VRSP deductions from both employers, it is your responsibility to be aware of the limit amounts.

Rewards and Recognition

Departments are encouraged to recognize staff member's accomplishments and achievements at the departmental level. For information, visit rewards and recognition.

Savings Bonds

The University of Iowa participates in TreasuryDirect, a program for purchasing electronic U.S. Treasury products, including savings bonds. In order to participate in payroll deductions for savings bonds, participants will need to open a TreasuryDirect account at Once your account is established, you can use Employee Self Service to establish your monthly payroll deduction in any amount you choose. Additional information is available from University Benefits.

SEIU Pay Adjustments

Check with your supervisor to find out your comp time balances and what is included in "Adjustments to Pay" on your paycheck earnings statement. Each University of Iowa Health Care department is provided with a detailed listing of all pay adjustments for the pay period.

Self Service Password Problems

Problems with your password can be easily corrected. Visit the UI Hawk-ID Guide for assistance.

Short Hours Form

Graduate students may be exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax if their department completes a short hours form and files that form with the Registrar's Office. To obtain the form, call the verification department at the Office of the Registrar, 319-335-0229. Find more information on student FICA tax exemption.

Stale Dated Payroll Checks

A paycheck is considered stale dated if it is held for a period of six months or more. At that point, a bank is no longer obligated to pay on it. If you receive notice from your bank that they are unable to cash a check because it has stale dated, or if you are still holding an un-cashed paper check dated past six months, you will need to contact Accounts Payable to request a reissued check. Accounts Payable is located at 202 Plaza Centre One with office hours Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Phone number is 319-335-0115.

Student FICA Tax Exemption

Graduate students may be exempt from FICA if they are registered for 0-2 credit hours or more and if their department completes a short hours form (see above) indicating that the student is engaged in research in fulfillment of a degree requirement, writing a dissertation or thesis, or preparing a prospectus. This form must be registered with the Office of the Registrar. Find more information on the student FICA tax exemption.

Termination of Employment

Salary earned in your final pay period along with any accrued unpaid vacation, and/or qualifying sick time (up to $2,000 for unused accumulated sick leave if you are age 55 or older), generally are disbursed on the pay date immediately following your final month of employment if all leave paperwork has been submitted. For example, if you terminate in November, your November salary, unpaid vacation and/or qualifying sick time will be paid on the December 1 paycheck if all appropriate paper work has been received.  If leave paperwork is submitted after monthly payroll has been processed, pay may be processed by the 12th working day of the month following termination. Payments for comp time, overtime, and  shift differential are paid on the first biweekly paycheck following receipt of your final time record.  This final biweekly payment will be deposited into your active balance direct deposit account. If you have no active balance direct deposit account, a paper check will be mailed to the most recent home address on file for you.

Your department will revoke your access to computer networks, systems, email, and passwords upon your termination. Employee Self Service will remain available for 22 months, provided your password is kept current.  Please refer to the tech services after leaving the University for more information.  If access is denied, follow the Help Desk instructions on Employee Self Service.

Please remember to go to Employee Self Service to make the necessary changes to your address.  If you have selected e-delivery of your W-2 form that will be available on the Employee Self Service prior to January 31 of the calendar year following your final paycheck.  If you have selected paper copy of your W-2 form, that will be mailed to the address we have on file.