Employee Relations is charged with 1) promoting, encouraging, and strengthening communication between employee and management at all levels; 2) promoting and safeguarding the proper application of university personnel policies and provisions; 3) establishing and heightening mutual trust and acceptance within the campus community; and 4) the provision of fair, reliable, and effective resolution in a timely manner.
- Employment practices: Provide guidance and consultation on key employment practices to ensure a healthy work environment and reduce the likelihood of grievances or litigation.
- Conflict resolution: Assist in resolving workplace problems and conflicts before they escalate. Serve as principal advisor for all staff grievance/administrative review procedures and resources.
- Investigations: Conduct or assist divisions in conducting objective and thorough investigations of employee conduct or employee complaints and grievances.
- Corrective action administration: Serve as objective consultants to University divisions/organizations regarding assuring due process in determining potential corrective action or discipline.
- Performance management: Assist managers and human resource professionals in establishing performance expectations, carrying out interventions, and assuring accountability to ensure productive employees and non-arbitrary work environments.
- Policy interpretation: Provide guidance on and development of university policies, procedures, and practices, related to employment, that comply with local, state, and federal regulations or laws.
- Labor relations: Administer and provide guidance to the university related to labor union contracts and activities.
- Grievances/appeals: Serve as objective hearing officer in matters involving employee grievances and represent/assist management or administer the process for appeals before various tribunals (e.g. Arbitration, GRIP)
- Training and workshops: For example, Effective Workplace Investigations, Managing for Improvement, Performance Management, Supervising at Iowa, Crucial Conversations, Conflict Resolution, Supervisor Procedure for Suspected Employee Impairment.