University Workforce Operations

Campus Address
120 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States

Child labor laws dictate the hours youth may work, how many hours per week may be worked, the times of the year youth may work, types of jobs or occupations they may have, and when work permits or certificates of age are required.

In Iowa, both federal and state child labor laws apply.

  • Iowa law requires youth to obtain a child labor form (work permit, form 62-2203) from an issuing officer to give to employers. At the University of Iowa, departments are required to obtain these forms at the departmental level and to keep them on file at the departmental level. These forms may be kept in the employee’s personnel file.
  • A work permit applies to minors ages 14 or 15 years old for most jobs in Iowa.
  • The child labor form is required for paid and unpaid (volunteer) workers.
  • Iowa youth may not work with hazardous equipment or hazardous materials.
  • There is nothing in the statutes regarding how long an employer needs to keep a child labor form, three years is a reasonable amount of time.
  • If there is a break in service and the 14 or 15 year old is coming back to the same job, there is no reason to complete a new form provided that there is no change in the number of hours the minor is working, the duties assigned are the same, and the equipment they are using is the same.

For additional resources for child labor regulations, please refer to the Iowa Division of Labor.