Domestic Travel and Personal International Travel

University of Iowa employees and their families may be eligible for two different travel assistance programs, based on their participation in the required group life insurance product (offered through Principal) or the accidental death and dismemberment insurance program (offered through Zurich).

Because participation in the university’s group term life insurance program is a condition of employment for regular university faculty and staff members who hold a 50 percent time or greater appointment, you are most likely already covered. If you have group life insurance, you are eligible for the robust travel assistance services offered through Principal Insurance Company.

Participation in the accidental death and dismemberment insurance plan offered through Zurich Insurance is voluntary. If you purchase this insurance, you are eligible for the travel assistance services they offer.

The travel assistance offered through both of these companies is offered as a component of the insurance plan already offered. If you have the insurance there is no additional charge to you for the travel assistance benefits.

If you participate in both plans listed above, you're eligible for both travel assistance plans. These are two separate programs with different benefits.  They do not coordinate benefits.  If you are eligible for both, we recommend you familiarize yourself with both so you can utilize the plan that is most beneficial to you if you have a claim.

University-Sponsored International Travel

The university has an agreement with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to provide medical and travel insurance coverage for students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad on University of Iowa business. Major features of the program include basic medical insurance and emergency medical and security evacuation.

Faculty and staff travelers (on university business) incur no cost for the program’s premium, coverage, and services. Optional coverage is available at the traveler's expense for accompanying spouse/domestic partner or dependents by completing the dependent enrollment form under the forms section. 

To be covered, you must register your travel in advance through the University’s ProTrav system. Enrollment will occur automatically approximately three weeks prior to your departure. 

This program does not apply to personal international travel.

Additional Information and Forms

If a faculty or staff member and their dependents who are traveling before or after their program dates (up to 2 weeks), and are looking to extend their coverage under the CISI plan should fill out the Personal Deviation Form (pdf).

Have a Question?

Visit our Contact Page