UIChoice is a high-quality plan with extensive coverage inside and outside of Iowa. Monthly premiums for UIChoice are higher than UISelect, and the out-of-pocket costs for medical services are lower.
- High-quality coverage with higher monthly premiums than UISelect and lower out-of-pocket costs.
- Covers providers nationwide, how much you pay depends on the benefit level of the provider you choose.
- Medical services are covered outside Iowa, and costs are lower with in-network
- Employees currently paying $0 in premiums for the employee only and double spouse family status options in UIChoice will continue to have access to a zero-premium option in UISelect. Employees paying $0 in premiums who choose to stay in UIChoice will pay 5% of their calculated premium in 2020.
- The university will continue to provide 80% of the coverage cost for these family status options in UIChoice: employee and spouse, employee and child(ren), employee and family.
To review the monthly premium amounts for each coverage option, please visit our UIChoice rates page.
To review the UIChoice plan provisions, please visit the copays, coinsurance, deductibles, and Out-of-Pocket Maximum page.
Health care under the UIChoice plan may be obtained from any provider you wish. However, how much you pay for care will depend on the benefit level of the provider you choose.
UIChoice has three benefit levels. You do not need to pick a plan level. The level of the provider you choose for care automatically determines how much you pay. The lower the level, the lower the cost to you.
Visit our provider page for more detailed information.
Virtual health care is available for free to UIChoice members from any location via Doctor on Demand.
All of the health plans offered through the University of Iowa, which are administered by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa, provides coverage of medically necessary covered services associated with gender transition-related treatment.
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa follows the national standards set forth by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) when deeming if a covered service is medically necessary.
Covered services, when ordered by a health professional and deemed medically necessary associated with gender transition-related treatment, may include the following:
- Hormone therapy;
- Mental health services; and
- Chest/breast and genital surgeries when ordered by a health professional.
Please contact Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa at 800-643-9724 for more information and to discuss the gender transition medical policy within the Interqual Prior Approval program to assure you have met all qualifications.
The UIChoice plan has a tiered prescription drug benefit. The lower the tier of your drug, the lower the cost to you.
Visit our pharmacy page for more detailed information.
UIChoice Plan Documents
- 2019 UIChoice Health Insurance Summary of Benefits (pdf)
- 2019 UIChoice Coverage Manual (pdf)
- Key Insurance Terms and Plan Provisions Summary (pdf)
- Doc on Demand (pdf)
ABOUT OUR SITE:
The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions may apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern. For more detailed information you may contact Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield at toll-free number 800-524-9242 (TTY: 888-781-4262), Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Central Time). For more efficient service, please have your member ID number handy - it can be found on the front of your card.