Name and Address Change Information

To make changes to name and address information please use the guidelines listed below:

Faculty and Staff, Former Employees, Retirees without current University Insurance

Address changes - All current and former faculty and staff should complete residing address and campus address changes on the Employee Self Service site.

Name changes - All current and former faculty and staff should complete name changes via the Employee Self Service site.

  • Standard (Legal) Name Change – Your Standard name should be your legal name (first and last) as it appears on your social security card.  If you have an update to your standard legal name, you may request a name change through employee self-service and attach appropriate legal documentation supporting the new name for review and update.  If you were a student at the University of Iowa, please refer to the section under ‘Students and Former Students’ listed below.

  • Preferred First Name – To add an optional Preferred First Name, complete the Preferred First name form via Employee Self Service. 

Frequently Asked Questions
Preferred First Name


Retirees with current University Insurance

Retirees (with current University Insurance) with name or address changes should contact the UI Benefits office by email to or in writing to:

The University of Iowa
University Benefits Office
120 University Services Bldg.
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911

Students and Former Students

Address changes - students may change their residing, home, and parent addresses on MyUI. Students may also restrict their residing address and/or phone number.

Name changes - complete the University of Iowa Request for Change of Name Form available on the Registrar's web site.

Questions - Registrar's Office, 1 Jessup Hall, 319/384-4300 or by e-mail at