Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) is a suicide-prevention training designed to educate people from all walks of life how to recognize the warning signs of suicide. QPR training helps people get comfortable asking the question "Are you thinking about suicide?" and then helping others get appropriate help.
QPR training can be delivered in about one hour and is designed for all “gatekeepers." A gatekeeper, according to the Surgeon General’s National Strategy for Suicide Prevention (2001), is anyone who is in a position to recognize when someone is in a crisis and may be contemplating suicide. QPR does not require participants to become crisis counselors but will increase their understanding of resources.
Your EAP can provide free QPR trainings for groups of 25 or less. Free individual training also is available. Please contact us at email@example.com.
For more information, see suicidepreventionlifeline.org or call 800-273-8255.
Rarely does an event evoke more emotions than suicide. In addition to the personal toll on family and friends, suicide can also have an impact on the workplace. People in distress often turn to those they know rather than seek professional help. Kognito training and QPR can give you the tools to start the conversation and make a difference. Join us in our efforts to prevent suicide.
What is Kognito?
Kognito is an online, interactive role-play simulation program for students, faculty, and staff that builds awareness, knowledge and skills about mental health and suicide prevention. It prepares users to lead real-life conversations with fellow students and colleagues who are in distress and how to connect them with the support they need.
How to Access the Course:
- Log into Self Service: http://hris.uiowa.edu
- Click on the My Career button
- On the My Career page, select the My Training button
- This will open up to the Compliance and Qualifications page
- On the Compliance and Qualifications page, click on the Enroll in Courses button
- On the Self Enroll in a Course page, in the Course Title box search for “suicide prevention”
- In the search results click on the View Details button for the Kognito Suicide Prevention, Faculty/Staff FY 20 course
- Follow onscreen prompts to open and take the online training now