The University of Iowa follows and supports the guidelines established under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that requires employers to provide:
- “reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk”
- "a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and public, which may be used be an employee to express milk"
Ideas for Possible Spaces
- Designated lactation room
- Employee's office or co-worker's office
- Unoccupied office or vacant office
- Conference room
- Sectioned-off corner of a room
- Lounge adjacent to women's restroom
”Employers are not required under the FLSA to compensate nursing mothers for breaks taken for the purpose of expressing milk. However, where employers already provide compensated breaks, an employee who uses that break time to express milk must be compensated in the same way that other employees are compensated for break time.”
For further clarification, please review the Break Time for Nursing Mothers FAQs or contact Family Services at 319-335-3558.