Domestic Partner Coverage

The University of Iowa offers you the opportunity to insure your domestic partner under various benefit programs. You may visit the pages in this section for information on eligibility, available plans, tax implications, and more.

Common Law vs. Domestic Partnership

A common law spouse is your legal spouse. The common law affidavit affirms that you meet the requirements of common law marriage in the State of Iowa. Once parties are married, regardless of the manner in which their marriage is contracted, they are married and can only be divorced by appropriate means in the place where the divorce is granted.

A domestic partner is not considered your legal spouse. In order to enroll your domestic partner for coverage, you must meet the criteria outlined on the Declaration of Domestic Partnership Affidavit. 

Documentation of Partnership Required

Faculty and Staff Employees

You will be required to submit supporting documentation for any dependent(s) added to your coverage. Information regarding the verification process and documentation requirements will be sent to you by email after you have updated your benefit elections. Documentation provided must correspond with the eligibility conditions that were stated on your Domestic Partner Affidavit sent to University Benefits. 


You will not need to submit supporting documentation. Once you have submitted your affidavit, the University Benefits Student Insurance team will review and will contact you by email on how to enroll your domestic partner.  

Contact Information

University Benefits

Campus Address
120 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States

Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.