The UIGRADCare plan, administered by Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Iowa, is a comprehensive health care program that covers students and their eligible dependents from providers within the UI Health Care network and/or Student Health.
UIGRADCare Plan Highlights
- Participants MUST use Student Health or UI Health Care providers for their care. Providers outside UI Health Care are not covered by UIGRADCare.
- Covers hospital, medical, surgical, outpatient, and other health care services such as physical therapy.
- Out-of-pocket for UI Health Care is $1,000 single and $1,700 for family.
- No deductible, $10 copay for office or clinic visits at UI Health Care providers, no charge for preventive care and immunizations, 10% coinsurance for blood work and imaging.
- $50 copay and 10% coinsurance per facility per date of service for facility and physicians combined for emergency room care.
- No referrals for specialists care.
UIGRADCare does not cover providers outside of Student health or UI Health Care Network. If you visit a provider outside of the UI Health Care network, your services will not be covered and you could potentially be balance billed.
Student insurance rates are effective from Sep. 1 through Aug. 31 each year. All premiums will be charged monthly to your university bill and must be paid each month by the due date. To review 2020-2021 plan rates for UIGRADCare, please visit the UIGRADCare Rates page.
If you would like to review the UIGRADCare plan provisions such as copay amounts, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket maximums, please visit the UIGRADCare Plan Details page.
UIGRADCare has a four-tier Prescription Drug plan. There is a separate out-of-pocket maximum for prescription drugs. Drugs listed on Wellmark's Blue Rx Complete Drug list are covered. Drugs not on this list are not covered. For out-of-network prescription drugs, you may be balanced billed. More information can be found on the UIGRADCare Prescription Drug Coverage page.
- 2021 UIGRADCare Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf)
- 2021 UIGRADCare Coverage Manual (pdf)
- AY 2021-2022 Grad & Health Science Insurance Overview (pdf)
- AY 2021-2022 Employed Grad Insurance Overview (pdf)