The University of Iowa Furlough Networking Program is intended for University of Iowa Professional & Scientific non-organized (P&S) employees who have received a furlough notification letter or are currently furloughed and will be referred to in this document as a furloughed employee(s).
In order to facilitate the placement of furloughed employees at the University of Iowa, the following policy may be used by furloughed employees to secure Regular, Specified Term or Temporary P&S non-organized positions:
- This policy shall apply to permanent furloughed employees as applicable, holding Career, Specified Term, At-Will or Probationary status. See listing of furlough options and resources available to furloughed staff at Furlough Options and Resources.
- Furloughed employees may initiate contact with colleges, divisions, departments or laboratories across campus to determine what employment opportunities may be available.
- If a college, division, department or laboratory has a position vacancy and would like to fill the vacancy with a furloughed employee, they may do so as long as the position has not been advertised on UI Careers. If the position has already been advertised or is currently being advertised on UI Careers, the normal recruitment process must be followed.
- If a college, division, department or laboratory does not have a vacant position, but wishes to hire the furloughed employee, they can request the creation of a new position by completing a Position Change form (Reason: New Position) and attach a copy of a local job description, and Organizational Chart.
- Preliminary discussions between the employee and the departmental Human Resource Representative or UI Recruiter regarding salary and a proposed start date will take place prior to offering the position to the furloughed employee.
- If a college, division, department or laboratory has funding for a vacant position and intends to hire a furloughed employee using the Furlough Networking Program they must complete a Transfer Form, a Furlough Networking Transfer (if the Furlough Networking Program was used and attach a copy of the offer letter, job description, the furloughed employee’s resume or CV, and salary justification, if required. If the department is hiring a Career Status or Specified Term Status (with more than two years of service in Specified Term Status) furloughed employee who is in their furlough period (12 months following the end of their furlough notice the department must complete an Appointment Form, attaching the same documents indicated above, and respond “YES” to the question on the appointment form “Is this a furlough hire?”. Answering this question is important since it ensures that various benefits and eligibility dates may be reinstated.
P&S Status: Career status permanent furloughed staff will follow University policy as provided in University policy III-3.1 d(5).
Specified Term Status staff who are permanently furloughed will be reappointed in Specified Term Status, except as provided for in University policy III-3.1, b(3) and f(1)(c).
Specified Term staff reappointed during the furlough period (12 months following their furlough notice), will retain Specified Term Status and his/her original Specified Term Status date.
- By accepting a transfer into a Regular P&S non-organized position, the furloughed Career and Specified Term Status (with more than 2 years of service) employee will no longer have furlough priority (Career) or furlough consideration (Specified Term – with more than 2 years of service) for regular P&S non-organized positions.
- By accepting a transfer into a Temporary position, the furloughed employee will retain furlough priority consideration if applicable, for Regular P&S non-organized positions until the furlough notice or furlough period ends. If the furloughed employee cannot successfully perform the responsibilities of the Temporary position, the furloughed employee would return to his/her former position and P&S status for the remainder of the furlough notification period.
- All furloughed staff may request to make their resume/CV available to UI Recruiters. For Career Status and Specified Term Status (with more than 2 years of Service in Specified Term Status) staff, this is a separate option from requesting interview priority or interview consideration. Departments finding a qualified applicant prior to advertising their position on UI Careers, may utilize the Furlough Networking Program to interview and hire the furloughed employee. If the hiring department would like to interview you, they will be responsible for scheduling an interview. Making your resume/CV available will require the furloughed employee to contact Compensation & Classification at firstname.lastname@example.org if they want to initiate this option. More information regarding this program is available in the Furlough Resume Database Program.
- The furlough networking program is limited to the furlough notification period for Specified Term (with less than 2 years of service), At-Will, and Probationary Status staff.