A request for approval of time away can be prepared using the online absence report available on Employee Self Service, a specified departmental absence report form, or this form. Check with your supervisor on the appropriate method.
Biweekly Employee Time Records
Direct deposit for your pay can be set up on the Employee Self Service. If you are at an off campus location, you will need to have the Duo Two-Step Verification in place to access this information. Payroll will not accept emailed or faxed direct deposit forms. If you need to complete a paper direct deposit form, please contact Payroll Services.
This form is for Faculty appointed on a fiscal year basis and Professional and Scientific staff members employed in departments who have elected to report sick leave and vacation usage in terms of days.
This form will be reviewed by Payroll Services to determine if the situation describes services by an Independent Contractor, or more closely resembles a request for employee-type services.
Monthly Time Records
These monthly time records are categorized by job classification.
Permission to release your payroll information to the individuals or agencies that you approve.
To make an independent contractor payment to an individual who is providing a service to the University of Iowa and who is using a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), create an e-Service voucher in the e-Procurement System.
The payroll voucher form should only be used when:
- Payments to an individual for a service, who does not have or will not provide either a valid SSN or ITIN.
- Payments of $5,000 or greater to individuals providing a service and receiving payment on a SSN or ITIN, who are not employed by or associated with The University of Iowa, who may be working under a consultant or contractual agreement, or who are Independent Contractors.
- Payment to a non-US citizen if all work was performed outside the U.S. and the individual did not come to the U.S.
Payroll Voucher Form (pdf)
For non U.S. citizens, additional documents listed below may be required to be attached to the voucher. This applies to both the payroll voucher and the e-services voucher.
- Form W-8 BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding) (pdf) is required for all nonresident aliens who perform services either in the U.S. or outside the U.S. IRS instructions for W-8BEN (pdf)
- Compliance Statement (pdf) is required for international visitors who enter the U.S. in Visa Waiver (VWB or VWT) or B (B1/B2) visa status.
- Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) (pdf) is required only for visitors who are lawful permanent residents and resident aliens.
- Foreign National Information System (FNIS) form is required for all international visitors to our campus. The department must provide Payroll with an email address of the visitor. Payroll will send an email with instructions, including User ID and password, directly to the visitor to complete the form online.
W-4 Withholding Forms
A withholding allowance certificate is required to be completed for the state in which you perform the services for the University of Iowa.
- Federal W-4 Withholding Form (pdf)
- Iowa W-4 Withholding Form (pdf)
- Illinois W-4 Withholding Form (pdf) (Illinois residents MUST also file an "Employee's Statement of Nonresidence in Iowa")
- Employee's Statement of Nonresidence in Iowa (pdf) (Illinois residents only)