Tuition Assistance Funding and Reportable Tax Information

Central allocations provide for the Tuition Assistance program funding.

Some departments are able to fund the applicant's tuition assistance. Please check with your department before requesting funds from the central allocation.

If your department is providing funding, they will be required to process your tuition assistance through MAUI Workflow. Access to MAUI Workflow is granted to departments by the UI Billing Office.

Reportable Tax Information

If your employer pays more than $5,250 for educational benefits for you during the year, you must generally pay tax on the amount over $5,250. Your employer should include in your wages (Form W-2, box 1) the amount that you must include in income. For more information visit the IRS website: Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center and scroll to Exclusions from Income.