Whether you're an avid exerciser or just getting started, these resources can help you become more physically active or fine-tune a routine that you already have. Regular physical activity enhances emotional and physical wellness with benefits like improved sleep, increased energy, greater concentration, and reduced risk of injury.
liveWELL offers a one-on-one Health Coach Service free for faculty and staff. A health coach can help you get started with exercise or further develop your current routine.
Individual classes, Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, Fitness Loft and Fitness East exercise facility, aerobics, track, and other exercise opportunities are available to faculty and staff. For assistance, email Recreational Services or call 319-335-9293.
Specific services include:
- Personal Training: Personal trainers provide education, guidance, instruction, and motivation to clients who want to achieve personal fitness goals. Trainers will closely supervise your progress and help provide you with resources to become confident and comfortable in any fitness or weight room environment. Personal training packages are available for individuals and small groups.
- Recreation Membership Incentive Program: Faculty and staff in 50 percent or greater positions, including UI Health Care house staff and postdoctoral research scholars, are able to receive half of a single membership paid for by the university.
Fitness and Exercise Locations and Discounts
- Employee Discount Program - Features many local and national fitness and exercise groups. This is a way for non-UI fitness and exercise entities to provide discounts to UI employees while utilizing this popular website to advertise!
- Blue 365 - UI employees who are members of Wellmark, can sign up for Blue365 at no cost and obtain exclusive member discounts on fitness memberships and many other deals.
Ace Fitness Exercise Library: Look up videos and photographs of a variety of strength-training activities to help with your workout routine. Go to the “Workouts” section for even more sample routines.
- SparkPeople Exercise Demonstrations: Many videos and photographs of home exercise routines, desk exercises, and more for beginners through advanced exercisers. There are also sections on finding sample workout music and other resources.
- Local Area Walking Maps
Please Note: If you have any preexisting health concerns, you check with your doctor prior to initiating these activities. As with any physical activity, if you experience pain or discomfort, discontinue the activity.