When an employee terminates from their University of Iowa employment, the following is information on how benefits will be affected. 

What will happen to my benefits?

For regular benefit-eligible employees who terminate employment, benefits end on the last day of the month they terminate. For example, if a P&S employee terminates on Nov. 5, benefits will remain effective until Nov. 30. 

Academic Year Faculty and Employed Graduate Students

  • Benefits for academic year faculty who terminate in May will end on June 30.
  • Coverage for graduate students employed for the academic year or spring semester will terminate on Aug. 31. If the grad student terminates during a semester, coverage ends at the end of the month following termination. 

Employees age 55 or older

  • If you terminate and are age 55 or older, you will be considered a University of Iowa retiree for benefits purposes. You are eligible for additional benefits. Please contact our office for more information. 

Voluntary Insurance Plans

If you are enrolled in a voluntary insurance program such as long-term care, you should contact that insurance company directly to see if you can continue the coverage through direct billing. Please call John Hancock at 888-999-2072 or Genworth at 800-416-3624 for long-term care.

If you are enrolled through World Insurance Associates' voluntary vision insurance program, your coverage will only be in effect until the end of the month when you terminate. Please contact them with any questions regarding your coverage end dates. 

Mandatory Retirement Accounts

Employee Self Service

Your Employee Self Service access will remain open on a limited basis for a short period of time. Please contact ITS Help Desk at 319-384-4357 for additional assistance.


Contact Parking and Transportation at 319-335-1475 regarding your parking permit or van pool.

Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment insurance is a benefit to eligible, unemployed individuals under the provisions of Title III, Subtitle 2, Chapter 96 of the Iowa Code (Iowa Administrative Code). Benefits are paid from a centrally located state fund supported by payroll tax levied on the University of Iowa. Claim and benefit eligibility is determined by the Iowa Workforce Development Department (IWDD). To file for unemployment benefits, please visit the Iowa Workforce Development website to file or contact your nearest Workforce Development Center.