One-on-One Elder Care Guidance, Information and Referral
Would you like to speak to a specialist privately regarding your elder care responsibilities? Do you have questions about your aging parent’s housing situation or health needs? Would you like to know what community resources are available to aging adults?
If you wish to meet with an Elder Care Specialist and the pre-determined appointments are not convenient, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-335-3558 to schedule a time to meet or phone consultation.
- UI Health Care Geriatric Medicine
- Iowa COMPASS -Maintains a data base and services for assistive technology and home modifications.
- University of Iowa Center on Aging
Legal Decision Making - Resources for Care Givers
Basic Estate Planning
- Basic Estate Planning Video Series
- Iowa State Extension Service (articles, forms and information)
- Beneficiary Designation Form (link directs to University Benefits-Forms webpage)
- Iowa Legal Aid
- Lawyers.com-Estate Planning, including special needs trusts
- The Iowa State Bar Association-Forms to complete a living will or durable power of attorney for health care
- Will Preparation Services at No Charge, University Benefits
Local and Regional Referrals
- Elder Services, Inc.
- Johnson County Livable Community-Provides information on the assets that Johnson County has and the resources that are available to help people age successfully.
- The Heritage Area Agency on Aging
- Aging Disability Resource Center
- Iowa City Hospice-Helping individuals and their families cherish the goodness of each and every day.
- SEATS Paratransit-Provides rides to senior citizens and people with disabilities
- Aging Life Care Association (Formerly known as the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers)
State and National Resources
- Iowa Department of Aging
- Life Long Links-Connecting you to Iowa's aging and disability resources
- National Center on Caregiving - Family Caregiver Alliance
- American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging
- Senior Care
- State of Iowa Resources for Seniors
- Senior and Assisted Living Facilities in Iowa
- Senior Advisor
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- ISU Extension Office Adult Caregiving Resources
- National Family Caregivers Association Caregiver Action Network
- Alzheimer's Association East Central Iowa Chapter
- AARP Caregiving Resource Center
- Iowa AARP
- National Council on the Aging
- Administration on Aging
- Social Security Administration
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- BenefitsCheckUp®-The National Council on the Aging created BenefitsCheckUp to help older adults to quickly identify programs that may improve the quality of their lives. Family and friends can also obtain facts about benefits that their loved ones may qualify for. Chances are, you will be surprised to learn what benefits are available to you, regardless of your income.
- AGIS-Assessment and checklists, and national resources
- National Center for Senior Transportation
- Iowa Department of Transportation - tips for older drivers
- At the Crossroads - Family Conversations about Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia and Driving (pdf)