Office Ergonomics Tips
The goal of office ergonomics is to design your office workstation so it fits you and provides a comfortable working environment for maximum productivity and efficiency. Following a few simple guidelines and/or utilizing a sit-stand workstation can help you significantly improve your office workspace.
- Increase your ability to perform everyday tasks at work and home
- Decrease your risk of musculoskeletal and cumulative trauma disorders
- Lead to less joint wear and tear and reduce osteoarthritis joint stiffness and pain
- Reduce muscle fatigue and soreness
- Increase blood supply and nutrients to your muscles, tendons, and joints
- Reduce stress
The Ergonomic Workstation Assessment and Evaluation process is designed to provide employees with education, self-awareness, and on-site assistance if they believe their work areas may not be optimal. These services are a free benefit to all University of Iowa faculty and staff.
- Complete the ICON course “Ergonomics—Computer Use” found in the Online Icon Courses via Employee Self-Service on the My Training Available tab.
- Complete Ergonomic Risk Survey: Computer Use.
- Once completed, you will be contacted by the Ergonomics Program if an on-site evaluation is requested.
Selecting proper equipment can make a difference in your comfort and safety. Suggested ergonomic equipment is available through our contracted providers.