Healthy eating is an important part of overall health, well-being, and personal energy. Learn about healthy eating from resources including the UChoose program, which helps you identify healthy food options on campus.
liveWELL offers a one-on-one Health Coach Service free for faculty and staff. Health coaching may focus on nutrition or weight loss goals. Health coaches are available in person or via phone. For assistance email liveWELL or call 319-353-2973.
With 14 locations campus-wide preparing over 400 unique foods to meet all appetites and needs and serving 16,000 meals each day, University Dining offers students, faculty, and staff a welcoming, affordable dining experience just around the corner. Look for UChoose-approved healthy options.
All UI Health Care dining facilities have daily menus posted with healthy, UChoose-approved items identified, as well as a nutrient analysis tool called NetNutrition. Use these online tools to plan your meals and assist you in making healthy choices each time you dine at UI Hospitals and Clinics.
Weight Watchers offers on-campus and community groups at a variety of locations and times.
- ChooseMyPlate.gov:Tip of the day, eating on a budget, sample menus and recipes, videos, kids' info, and more
- Body Mass Index Calculator: Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
- Your Guide to Lowering Cholesterol with TLC (pdf): From the National Institutes of Health, this guide provides an eating plan, sample menus, and information on the TLC Diet, a heart-healthy eating plan to help you lower cholesterol.
- Your Guide to Lowering Blood Pressure (pdf): From the National Institutes of Health, this guide offers a simple, evidence-based approach to decreasing both systolic and diastolic blood pressure scores.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Current and accurate information on numerous food and nutrition topics, including recipes
- American Heart Association: Variety of healthy eating information that includes recipes
- Fruits & Veggies More Matters: Tips and recipes designed to help Americans eat more fruits and vegetables
- Mayo Clinic Nutrition and Healthy Living: Expert advice on current nutrition topics, evaluation of diet trends, menu planning, and recipes
- Nutrition.gov: Reliable information on food and nutrition, including recipes
- Vegetarian Nutrition: Evidence-based information, advice, and recipes for all types of vegetarian diets
- WebMD: Expert reviewed nutrition and wellness information, including recipes
- UI Student Health and Wellness: Easy recipes