Accidental death and dismemberment insurance provides coverage at all times for most accidents that occur on or off the job, at home or away, anywhere in the world. However, there are some exclusions listed in the master policy.
Coverage is available in $100,000 increments up to a maximum of $1,000,000 for:
Two added benefits to our plan effective Jan. 1, 2018:
- Felony victim benefit: Will pay an additional benefit equal to 10 percent of the insured's principal sum to a maximum of $50,000
- Terrorism benefit: Will pay an additional benefit equal to the lesser of 50 percent of the insured's principal sum or $100,000
- For further information and definitions of the above benefits, please see the Additional Benefits Rider (pdf).
|Plan I: Employee||
|Plan II: Employee and Spouse or Domestic Partner||
|Plan III: Employee and Children||
|Plan IV: Employee and Family||
Dual University of Iowa employed spouses/partners and any dependents may not double insure each other or dependents. An individual may only be included once under this policy.
Dependent children must be at least 14 days old and are covered through the end of the year in which they turn 26, unless a full-time student or disabled. If your child is totally and permanently disabled and classified as a dependent for tax purposes, there is no maximum age for coverage. The disability must have existed while he or she was a covered dependent.
Changes in Coverage
Changes in coverage such as adding or deleting your spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependents from your coverage can only be made during the annual enrollment period or within 30 days of a significant change in family status as a result of any of the following events:
- Marriage/domestic partner affidavit or divorce/termination of domestic partner agreement
- Death of a spouse or domestic partner or child
- Birth or adoption of a child
- An approved leave of absence
- Change of employment for yourself or spouse or domestic partner or dependent
- Dependent no longer eligible
Staff members may name their beneficiary (or beneficiaries) and may change the beneficiary at any time through Employee Self Service. Any change of beneficiary will not become effective until recorded by the university.
|Single||$1.60 per $100,000|
|Employee/Spouse||$2.70 per $100,000|
|Employee/Children||$1.90 per $100,000|
|Family||$3.00 per $100,000|