Departing Students

Short term health and dental insurance is available for those who were University of Iowa students, immediately after leaving the university. Coverage may continue for up to 12 months.  

If you wish to utilize this option, you must complete the application within 45 days of graduation or leaving the university. 

Plans Available


You will enroll in the plan(s) you wish to continue (with 45 days of your leaving) via the online form in MyUI. Visit enrollment page for more detailed instructions. 

Coverage will begin the first day of the month following your departure from the university. 

You will not receive a new id card if you will remain in the same plan(s) you were in before you departed from the university. If you are a graduate student or health science major and you switch from one medical plan to the other, you will be sent a new insurance id card from Wellmark due to a new policy number. To avoid delays, please ensure your residing address is up-to-date in MyUI.

Gender Transition

All of the health plans offered through the University of Iowa provide benefits for medically necessary covered services associated with gender transition when ordered by a health professional. Please contact Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield at 800-643-9724 for more information and to discuss the gender transition medical policy. 

Contact Information

University Benefits Student Insurance

Campus Address
120 USB
Mailing Address

120 University Services Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911
United States

Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.