The University of Iowa offers you the opportunity to insure your domestic partner under various benefit programs. 

Common-Law vs. Domestic Partnership

A common-law spouse is your legal spouse. The common law affidavit affirms that you meet common law marriage requirements in the State of Iowa. Once parties are married, regardless of how their marriage is contracted, they are married and can only be divorced by appropriate means where the divorce is granted.

A domestic partner is not considered your legal spouse. To enroll your domestic partner for coverage, you must meet the criteria outlined on the Declaration of Domestic Partnership Affidavit. 

Documentation of Partnership Required

Faculty and Staff Employees

You will be required to submit supporting documentation for any dependent(s) added to your coverage. Information regarding the verification process and documentation requirements will be sent to you by email after updating your benefit elections. The documentation provided must correspond with the eligibility conditions stated on your Domestic Partner Affidavit sent to University Benefits. 


You will not need to submit supporting documentation. Once you have submitted your affidavit, the University Benefits Student Insurance team will review and contact you by email to enroll your domestic partner.