As part of the ACA legislation, the University must provide full-time employees with a 1095-C tax form on or before Jan 31st for the previous calendar year as proof of the health coverage offered to the employee and their family (if applicable) during that year.

If you would like to choose online delivery and haven't done so for your ACA 1095-C tax form for future years, you will need to update your preferences in Employee Self Service.

Instructions on opting into online delivery of tax forms:

  1. Log in to Employee Self Service with your HawkID and password.
  2. Go to "My Self Service" once logged in.
  3. Under the "Settings" link, select the "Form Delivery Options" link.
  4. Choose "Online Delivery" for your ACA 1095 tax form (and W-2 if you do not already receive it that way).
  5. Don't forget to hit SAVE.

Every January, you will receive an email notifying you that your forms are available to print or download. You will be able to find them in Employee Self Service under the "Time & Pay" menu item >> "Taxes" >> "Year-End Tax Information" link, and for your protection, you will need to log in with DUO to access your forms. 

Tax form 1095-C contains information about health coverage offered to the employee. One form is provided for all individuals covered by the employee's plan. The employee may need to provide copies to dependents. Do not discard the 1095-C form, but retain this for your tax records.

Non-Employee (Retirees and Students)

The University also provides health coverage to non-employees such as students and retirees.

As part of the ACA legislation, the university must provide non-employees with a 1095-B tax form on or before Jan 31 for the previous calendar year as proof of their health coverage meeting ACA minimal essential coverage requirements provided during that year. This does not include student athletes' secondary coverage.

Tax form 1095-B contains information about health insurance. One form is provided for all individuals covered by their plan. The employee may need to provide copies to dependents. Do not discard the 1095-B form, but retain this for your tax records.

At this time, there is no online option to receive your ACA 1095-B tax forms for non-employees. 

The University of Iowa

As the employer, the university must file all issued 1095-C and 1095-B forms with the IRS by March 31st for the previous calendar year.

  • The university does not provide 1095-A's. The employee should obtain those from the health insurance exchange. 

Waiving Health Coverage

If you waive health insurance through the University and are not covered under another group health plan that provides minimum value coverage, the maximum amount of university credits (general benefit credit and shared savings credits) that can roll into a health care FSA is $500.

If you are a regular benefit-eligible employee and want to receive the maximum amount of university credits and plan to waive UI health insurance, you must take action within your new hire event and/or open enrollment events each year. This question will need to be answered each year you choose to waive coverage. 

picture of the question that is asked when you waive UI health insurance

Please note: A spouse or dependent child for whom you seek reimbursement of expenses through the health care FSA must be enrolled in a plan that provides minimum value coverage when spouse or dependent incurred the expenses. It is your responsibility to notify University Benefits immediately if your enrollment status in other health insurance changes.

To confirm that your plan meets the minimum value standard, check with your plan administrator.

Eligibility for Health Insurance

The university's health plans meet the Affordable Care Act's essential coverage and affordability for employees.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires large employers to offer health insurance coverage to substantially all (at least 95%) of their full-time employees. The university offers health insurance to regular employees working half-time or more, and their eligibility will not change.

ACA regulations require the university to offer health insurance to all temporary, part-time, and variable hour employees, including student employees, who meet the ACA eligibility requirements. The ACA eligibility requirements define a full-time employee working an average of 30 or more hours per week within a measurement period.

Active faculty and staff, including students, temporaries, and part-time, who are not currently benefit eligible, but who work an average of 30 hours or more per week during the measurement period, will receive an offer for a health insurance plan based on their employment status including coverage for dependents if needed - paid either in full or partially by the employing department if coverage is elected (ACA coverage does not include dental insurance). The University's contribution to this cost will be charged to the employing department and will not be covered by the Fringe Benefit Pool System. In addition, the employee will be billed monthly for their share, if any, of the premium.

The University Benefits Office will determine the 30 working hours by using a standard measurable period of Oct 1 through Sep 30 of each year for an ongoing employee. 

Standard Measurement Period and Stability Period for Eligibility 

Year Standard Measurement Period Standard Stability Period
2017 Oct 1, 2015 - Sep 30, 2016 Jan 1, 2017 - Dec 31, 2017
2018 Oct 1, 2016 - Sep 30, 2017 Jan 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018



Oct 1, 2017 - Sep 30, 2018

Oct 1, 2018 - Sep 30, 2019

Jan 1, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019

Jan 1, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020

2021 Oct 1, 2019 - Sep 30, 2020 Jan 1, 2021 - Dec 31, 2021
2022 Oct 1, 2020 - Sep 30, 2021 Jan 1, 2022 - Dec 31, 2022

New temporary and part-time hires will have an initial measurement period of 11 months beginning the first of the month following the hire date.  

Each week (and only the weeks) in which the individual worked will be included in the average calculation. E.g., If a person only works 10 weeks out of the entire measurement period, the average hours worked during those 10 weeks would be used to determine eligibility. The average hours' calculation does not include Federal Work-Study Program hours, non-FMLA leaves without pay, or bona fide volunteer hours.

Average hours worked per week for temporary faculty who are not classified as Clinical or Research faculty include 1 hour of prep time for each credit hour that is taught plus 2.0 hours of office time for a total of 4 hours (calculated up to a maximum of 40 hours per week). A faculty member teaching 10 credit hours in an applicable semester would have a 40 hour average for the weeks of the semester. 

If an employee is terminated during the measurable year and is rehired during the 26 weeks following the termination, then the prior employment time will be included for counting purposes or eligibility for insurance coverage. Breaks longer than 26 weeks will result in the person being treated as a new hire.

Each year stands alone. An employee could qualify one year and not the next year based on the hours worked average.  If an employee with coverage did not qualify in a measurement period, their eligibility for coverage would end the following January 1st.

If an employee becomes eligible for insurance due to the standard measurement period and elects coverage, the insurance will commence on the 1st of January following the measurable period.

If a newly hired temporary employee becomes eligible for insurance due to their initial measurement period, University Benefits will offer coverage, and if elected, coverage will begin on their 13th month of employment.