To enroll in the Handicare, Inc. Well Back-up Child Care program, please read all guidelines listed on this page and complete and return registration/enrollment forms to Family Services.
Family Services must receive the completed, required forms at least two business days in advance of a parent requesting care. Email Family Services or call 319-467-1898 for more information.
Forward completed forms to email@example.com.
- Child Information Form (pdf)
- Parental Authorization for Pick Up (pdf)
- Iowa Child and Adult Care Food Program (pdf)
- Health Form (pdf)
- Immunization Record (pdf)
You may substitute the child health or immunization form(s) with your own copy. Must be up-to-date and completed by a licensed physician or health care provider.
Definition of Well Back-Up Child Care
- Normal school or child care arrangement is temporarily unavailable—e.g., teacher’s day or a break or holiday.
- Usual school or child care arrangement is unavailable due to weather
- Parent has not yet found a permanent child care arrangement and needs temporary care
- Parent’s work or school day is extended and temporary care is needed
- Recruit is visiting the campus and needs a temporary child care arrangement
Well back-up care is not intended to provide care for an ill child.
Eligibility for the program includes University of Iowa faculty, staff, or students who require back-up child care to meet work, academic, or life responsibilities, and UI recruits or visitors to campus for work or academic reasons.
- Complete and submit registration/enrollment forms to Family Services. The forms must be completed and received by Family Services at least two business days in advance of a parent requesting care.
- Request and reserve care by calling Handicare at 319-354-7641, indicating you are a University of Iowa affiliated family.
- Provide infant formula, diapers/pull-ups, a change of clothes, and any other necessary items for your child.
- Notify Handicare if arriving after 6:30pm. (Arriving after 6:30pm is subject to a late fee determined by Handicare)
- Pay the back-up child care costs to Handicare the day the care is provided.
Handicare Inc. accepts all children six weeks to nine years of age.
For children with disabilities, age range can be extended based on the disability and the appropriateness of care.
2220 9th St, Coralville, Iowa
Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Excludes the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the Friday following Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Subject to change or alter due to unforeseen circumstances or given extreme weather conditions.
Fees are based on the number of days in care and age of the child. Contact Handicare for the most up-to-date price information and care options.
Late fees range from $25-$40 (depending upon the age of the child). Late fees will be charged if a child is picked-up after 6:30pm.
No registration fee is assessed to University of Iowa faculty, staff and students.
A cancellation fee of $25 will be charged to the parent if a reservation is canceled less than 48 hours of the requested/reserved care.
If the parent is a “no show” or does not cancel prior to the required 48 hours and does not pay the $25, future requests for care may be denied.
- Request and reserve care by contacting Handicare (319-354-7641) between the hours of 6:30am and 6:30pm, indicating you are a University of Iowa affiliated family.
- You m ay request a reservation on a need to basis, however, you should provide at least a 48-hour notice when possible.
- If Handicare has an opening available when a UI family contacts them, and if the care requested is appropriate and staff are available, care will be provided regardless of when the phone request is received.
- Prior to a reservation being finalized, a parent must complete and submit all required forms to Family Services.
- Care may be denied if the family has previously reserved an opening, was a “no show,” and did not follow the cancellation guidelines and/or did not pay the cancellation fee.