Financial well-being can be defined as “a state of being wherein a person can fully meet current and ongoing financial obligations, can feel secure in their financial future, and is able to make choices that allow enjoyment of life." Source: Consumerfinance.gov
In addition to offering retirement options for its employees, the University of Iowa sponsors financial education opportunities. Financial Well-Being opportunities are offered in collaboration between the Benefits Office and UI Wellness.
On-campus and Web Events
Financial Well-Being classes and events will be held throughout the year on a variety of topics ranging from paying off student loans to maximizing your retirement assets. Visit this webpage for the most up-to-date information on these events.
- Detailed information about your retirement and savings plan
- Request an on-campus or off-campus appointment with a local TIAA financial advisor
- Learn ways to manage debt, save and invest no matter where you are in life
- On-demand webinars on a variety of financial well-being topics (log-in required)
- Retirement Information: learn about retirement eligibility, benefits options and other helpful resources for retirees.
- Voluntary Retirement Savings Program (VRSP)
- liveWELL Healthy Living Center via Self-Service
- UI Employee Discount Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Consumer Credit Counseling (referrals through UI Employee Assistance Program): The UI Employee Assistance Program offers support for faculty and staff who are having financial difficulties. Through an arrangement with the Horizon's Financial Health and Wellness Program, the UI EAP will pay for a one time financial consultation with the program. Horizons: a Family Service Alliance offers meetings with a financial expert to discuss financial management concerns. They offer a wide variety of classes and supports through their programs-many at reduced fees or free. UI faculty or staff members who would like to take advantage of this free consultation are asked to have a one-time meeting with an EAP counselor.