Instructions for Completing Payroll Voucher

Instructions for Completing Payroll Voucher

The process for making an independent contractor payment to an individual who is providing a service to the University of Iowa and who is using a Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is done by creating a Services Voucher, which is part of the Accounts Payable e-Voucher system (accessible through Employee Self Service).

The paper Payroll Voucher form will continue to be accepted for the following types of payment requests until further programming is complete:

  • Payments to an individual who does not have or will not provide either a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  • Payment to an individual of $10,000 or more. A written Professional Services Agreement (PSA) should be used for individuals who are not University Employees and who receive payments from the University in excess of $10,000 per project year.  Please refer to the PSA policies and procedures on the Purchasing Department website.
  • Payment to a non-US citizen if all work was performed outside the U.S. and the individual did not come to the U.S.

For questions on appropriate use of the forms, contact:

Marianne Stratton 319-335-2420
Katie Villhauer 319-335-2380

Use this form when paying an individual for a service, who is using a Social Security Number, who is not employed by or associated with The University of Iowa, who may be working under a consultant or contractual agreement, or who is an independent contractor.

Generally, any person providing a service similar to what we have employees doing on campus may need to be treated as an employee of The University of Iowa. In these cases, please refer to IRS Publication 1779 at

A written Professional Services Agreement (PSA) must be used for individuals who are not University employees and who receive payments from the University of $10,000 or more per project year. Please refer to the policies and procedures on the PSA for more information.


Name must correspond with correct social security number. If the payee does not have a valid U.S. Social Security Number, please indicate so. Do not use an Employer Identification Number (EIN) on this form.


Full Time Federal Employee: may be restricted from consultant fee payments from federal funds.

Primarily a UI Student or University of Iowa Employee: generally, students, current employees and those employed in the previous calendar year are excluded from being paid as independent contractors (consultants) by the "arms length transaction" or continuing relationship rules.

Relative of the Project Director: may constitute a conflict of interest. Please refer to Conflicts of Commitment and Interest, Operations Manual


Please provide complete contact information.

If the payee is not a U.S. citizen, a resident of U.S. territories or a resident alien for tax purposes federal tax will be withheld. The payee in this case must complete the  Foreign National Information System (FNIS) form. The department must provide Payroll with an email address for the visitor prior to his/her arrival. Payroll will send a questionnaire directly to the visitor to gather immigration information. Please be aware that failure to supply the recipient's e-mail address or failure to complete the questionnaire may delay the payment. Payroll will wait a maximum of two weeks for the questionnaire to be returned via email. If we do not receive a response, Payroll will withhold taxes at the maximum rates to ensure compliance with state and federal law.

Requirements affecting nonresident aliens coming to the U.S. in order to participate in academic activities when an honorarium may be awarded can vary. Usually these nonresidents come as Visiting B or Visa Waiver (VW) non immigrant aliens. Rules exist that determine whether or not payment is allowed. The criteria for payment are:

  • the academic activity cannot last longer than nine days at any given institution.
  • the nonresident has not accepted payment or reimbursement for expenses from more than five institutions or organizations in the previous six-month period.

For these individuals, a Compliance Statement must be completed and included with the Payroll Voucher. Both forms are located on the Payroll website. If the individual refuses to sign the Form W-8Ben or won't submit one, there will be a $50 fine charged to the department. Contact Xuefen Zhen at 319-353-2460 or Katie Villhauer at 319-335-2380 with questions about these rules.


Provide the dates of service for this payment and a specific, detailed description of service. (i.e. name and /or location of conference or project, honorarium for what type of service, spoke to whom, additional details regarding the consulting service provided, etc.)


Provide the complete MFK to be charged. Payroll vouchers require an Institutional account in the 6000 series, excluding Travel IACT numbers 6025-6064. Indicate the gross amount of compensation to be paid.


Obtain two authorized signatures. Some departments and colleges may require additional signatures. For information about your specific signature approval requirements, please contact your HR Unit Rep.

Complete the Special Handling Instructions fields if necessary

All paper Payroll Vouchers should be sent to Payroll Services, 120-30 USB for audit. After audit is complete, vouchers will be forwarded to the Accounts Payable Department, 202 PCO, for processing and payment. Payment status can be viewed on-line in Employee Self Service under the Administration/Data Access tab "AP/PO Peoplesoft".

[Continue to PDF iconPayroll Voucher Form (pdf)]