Performance management goes beyond the formal, annual discussion about performance. It's an ongoing process with shared responsibility that begins with the initial hiring process and orientation and continues throughout employment. Between formal review opportunities, supervisors and employees should create regular opportunities to review and discuss progress.
Successful performance management benefits everyone involved. Individuals often experience higher morale and creativity, as well as improved health, which in turn supports improved productivity and reinvigorated pursuit of the department and university’s goals and missions.
2016-17 New Performance Review Tool
Starting in academic year 2016-17, Human Resources will deploy a new Performance Review Tool that’s more flexible and easier to use. Access the new tool directly at http://talent.uiowa.edu/performance or log in through Employee Self Service. Review the FAQ below if you have questions.
How to start your performance review
If you are Professional & Scientific (P&S) staff:
- Access your goal plan through Employee Self-Service | Personal Tab | Goal Plan.
- Continue to record progress and modify goals in your 2016/17 goal plan.
- Record next years goals by selecting 2017/18 goal plan from the drop-down menu.
- You may start your self-assessment in your performance review form at any time. It is not visible to your supervisor until the form is forwarded to your inbox.
If you are Merit/Non-Nursing SEIU staff:
Your supervisor or HR Representative will provide you with the appropriate forms if anything is required of you prior to your performance review meeting.
- Regardless of whether or not you receive a form, it is a good idea to prepare for the meeting by using the suggestions provided in the performance review process.
- After the meeting, you will have an opportunity to view your review form online.
- You must sign an acknowledgement of receiving the form and will have the opportunity to add comments.