Visit our website for a listing of treatment locations.


Workers’ compensation missed time benefits do not replace your entire salary.   Supplementing is using accrued leave to add to the workers’ compensation missed time benefits to bring your income during the healing period up to as close to your normal salary as possible.

 If you choose not to supplement and elect to take workers’ compensation benefits only, you will save your accrued leave.  However, if you choose not to supplement, your department will put you on a leave of absence, removing you from “in pay” status.

 If you are not in pay status, you will lose all University benefits except health care coverage, which will continue for up to four months.  These four months will run concurrently with your FMLA rights.

If you are missing time, once you satisfy the waiting period of 3 days you will receive a Benefit Election Form from the University of Iowa Benefits Office.  You will make your Benefit Election decision and return the form to the Benefits office through regular or campus mail.


Report your injury to your supervisor or HR Unit Representative within 24 hours. This person will ask you several important questions to gather information to complete a First Report of Injury form on Employee Self Service. The First Report of Injury form must be completed and sent to the Benefits Office within 24 hours of the injury/illness.

You can find your HR Unit Representative by clicking on "My HR Unit Rep" on Employee Self Service.

This will require that you know your HawkID and password. If you do not know your HawkID or password, you can find assistance on the HawkID Guide website.


Continued authorized medical care is care received at these same locations. UI Occupational Health, or Sedgwick CMS may direct you to additional providers. If your claim is approved by Sedgwick CMS, authorized medical treatment will be paid at 100%. There are no co-payments or deductibles.

Payment for unauthorized care may be denied by both your private health insurance carrier and workers’ compensation.  It is important that treatment for all workers’ compensation injuries is authorized by Sedgwick CMS.  This is consistent with the laws of the State of Iowa.

With authorized care, you may receive a statement indicating the charges have been filed with your private health insurance provider as well as workers’ compensation.  You may also receive a statement from your private health insurance provider stating that payment has been denied because this is a workers’ compensation claim.  THIS IS THE NORMAL PROCEDURE of many insurance companies, and is not within the control of the University Benefits Office.

UIHC and other providers normally bill both the workers’ compensation provider and your private health insurance carrier.

If your health insurance Explanation of Benefits (EOB) indicates that these charges are pending, you should assume the payment issue between the two companies will be resolved.  If the statement indicates you are to pay any amount for services related to your claim, contact the medical provider and inform them this is a workers’ compensation matter.

If you receive a “Past Due” notice or a collection letter, please contact the Benefits Office at (319) 335-2676.

If your claim is not approved, contact your personal insurance carrier.  Notify them that your worker’s compensation claim was denied and provide them with any additional information they require.  Your personal insurance should pay any bills according to the terms of your insurance policy.


Sedgwick CMS (866) 342-3920. This is a toll-free call. You may also contact an HR Specialist in the Benefits Office:  Amy Edeker or Bethany Kaplan.


Workers’ compensation benefits are not taxed by the Federal or State governments.

At the end of year, you pay taxes based on reported income from The University of Iowa.  THIS INCOME DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY WORKERS’ COMPENSATION PAYMENTS.


Report each work-related injury/condition to your supervisor or HR Unit representative as soon as possible within 24 hours.

Obtain medical care from an approved facility.

Provide your supervisor with the Patient Status Report (PSR), completed and signed by the authorized medical provider within 24 hours (or one business day) following a medical appointment. The PSR provides specific information regarding the medical diagnosis, treatment plan, recommended physical restrictions and their duration, and next medical appointment date/time.

Do not return to work until the PSR is reviewed with your UI supervisor. Failure to provide the PSR to your supervisor may result in disciplinary action.

Attend all scheduled appointments related to your workers' compensation claim. If you fail to attend a scheduled appointment, you will not be allowed to work until an updated PSR is provided and reviewed.

Follow recommended restrictions/capabilities at work and in all non-work activities. Restrictions will remain unchanged until the next scheduled appointment with an authorized provider. However, an authorized medical provider may alter the recommended limitations and provide updated restrictions as appropriate. Failure to comply with restrictions may jeopardize an employee's workers' compensation benefits.

Review information on the current PSR with your supervisor to confirm indicated restrictions/capabilities and discuss availability of appropriate temporary work. Restricted work assignments may change with your restrictions, or based on available duties, and may be scheduled outside your normal work hours/week.

Respond to departmental restricted work offers in writing, within 24 hours of notification. If you feel you are unable to perform the temporary restricted-duty work, specific reasons for the refusal must accompany the reply. Refusal of a temporary restricted duty assignment may affect your Workers' Compensation benefits.

Complete only assigned work based on current PSR and the discussion you had with your supervisor.

Immediately contact your supervisor with questions or concerns related to temporary restricted-duty work assignments (i.e., increasing discomfort, etc.).  Temporary restricted-duty work assignments should not exceed 6 months in duration.


No. If your claim is approved by Sedgwick CMS, medical and therapy appointments scheduled during work hours are counted as time worked. Routine medical appointments, including physical therapy appointments and follow-up appointments with UI Occupational Health, should not exceed two hours in duration: 30 minutes to and from the provider location and one hour for the medical appointment. Time required for appointments with the UI Work Injury Recover Center, or similar specialty clinics, are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


By law, missed time benefits begin after a waiting period of three calendar-days of absence. If you miss work for more than 14 calendar days, missed time benefits will also be paid for the waiting period.

Workers’ compensation missed time benefits typically represent approximately 2/3 of a person’s regular weekly salary, depending on their income. Workers’ compensation missed time benefits have a maximum payment, so the income replacement percentage will be lower for higher income employees. You receive workers’ compensation missed time benefits during the healing period when you are unable to work, or when your department is unable to provide you with work within the identified restrictions.

Please note that you may elect to supplement workers’ compensation benefits with accrued leave. The combination of your workers’ compensation benefits and accrued leave should approximate your regular weekly salary.

If you are able to work “restricted duty” during the healing period, you will receive your full salary instead of workers’ compensation missed time benefits.

Receipt of your first missed time benefits check from workers' compensation is dependent on the completion time of the Sedgwick CMS investigation. Once a claim is approved, missed time is paid weekly. The checks are sent directly from Sedgwick CMS to your home address.

You should stay in contact with the Workers’ Compensation Specialist to determine what effect payment of missed time benefits may have on your financial situation. Notify the Workers’ Compensation Specialist in the Benefits Office at (319) 335–2676 when you receive your first workers’ compensation missed time benefit check.


Yes.  You must continue with any follow-up appointments as directed by the treating physician.  Failure to attend related appointments may result in discontinuation of your workers' compensation benefits and your department should not allow you to work until an updated PSR or communication is provided.


Mileage Reimbursement:
Mileage reimbursement is provided for individuals using their personal vehicle to travel to and from treatment for a work-related injury. The Travel Reimbursement form can be requested from the UI Benefits Office at 335-2676. A receipt for parking is required if included in the reimbursement request.

Taxi Reimbursement:
Reimbursement of a taxi fee is provided for individuals traveling to and from their university work location to UI Occupational Health in Coralville, Iowa. The Travel Reimbursement form can be requested from the UI Benefits Office. A receipt for taxi fare is required.

Taxi Use:
The University of Iowa has established an account with Yellow Cab of Iowa City to provide taxi service to and from an individual’s university work location to UI Occupational Health in Coralville, Iowa. Individuals should call Yellow Cab of Iowa City at 319-338-9777 to request cab service. At the time of pick-up, individuals will be required to show their University ID to the Yellow Cab driver. The taxi will not wait during the clinic appointment. Rather at completion of the appointment, a return ride should be scheduled. Individuals using Yellow Cab of Iowa City and following the established process will not be required to pay a fee at the time of service.

*It is important to note that travel outside of these locations is not a covered expense, and is the individual's responsibility. 

Use of a University Vehicle for Transportation:
A university vehicle may be used for transportation to UI Occupational Health as approved by the employee’s department.

Use of Personal Vehicle to Transport a Colleague:
It is not recommended that individuals use their personal vehicle to transport a colleague to UI Occupational Health for medical treatment. Mileage reimbursement will not be provided in this case.


If you do not feel you can perform the work under those restrictions, contact the treating physician for an appointment to discuss the current limitations/restrictions.

Respond to departmental restricted work offers in writing within 24 hours of notification. If you state you are unable to perform the temporary restricted-duty work, specific reasons for the refusal must accompany the reply. Refusal of a temporary restricted-duty assignment may jeopardize your workers' compensation benefits and may result in discipline according to attendance policies.


Yes, Sedgwick CMS must approve the treatment.  Contact the Workers'  Compensation Specialist in the UI Benefits Office at (319) 335-2676 to begin the process.


This means you are not expected to improve beyond your present status.  When you attain MMI, your physician will determine the extent of any permanent injury and inform Sedgwick CMS.  Your benefit status will change to Partial Permanent Impairment, or "Permanency" benefits.  You will be entitled to a certain number of weeks of workers' compensation benefits based on the Impairment Rating, if any, as provided by your physician.  There is a possibility of receiving zero weeks of workers' compensation benefits, based on the impairment rating.


The provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may apply in situations where a work-related injury does not permit work. Contact your HR Unit Representative with any questions.


Yes, after you have exhausted your sick leave and vacation.

For more information, visit the Catastrophic Leave web page. 


An employee is eligible to transfer to another department or position while on temporary restricted work due to a work related injury if the following applies:

  • the employee must be responsible for informing the other department of any temporary restrictions in place related to a work injury
  • the hiring department must be able to accommodates the temporary work restriction in place at the time of the transfer

You may need to complete:

Return to Work Offer
Benefit Election Form
Mileage Reimbursement Form


Visit our Resource page.


The department uses the Patient Status Report in order to determine restrictions, authorization to return to work, etc. You should not request completion of a DOL medical certification form.


Yes. Information shared with Workers' Compensation staff is confidential. Only restrictions are shared with the employing department, unless the employee signs a Release of Information Form permitting the sharing of medical information.