To use the Handicare Well Back-up Child Care program, please read all guidelines and complete and return pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to Family Services.
All forms must be completed and received by Family Services at least two business days in advance of reserving a well back-up child care slot at Handicare, Inc.
Return forms to:
UI Family Services
or 319-353-2384 (fax)
If you have questions and/or concerns regarding this service, email Family Services or call 319-335-3558.
Definition of Well Back-up Child Care
For the UI family who needs back-up child care when:
- Normal school or child care arrangement is temporarily unavailable—e.g., teacher’s day or a break or holiday.
- Usual school or child care arrangement is unavailable due to weather
- Parent has not yet found a permanent child care arrangement and needs temporary care
- Parent’s work or school day is extended and temporary care is needed
- Recruit is visiting the campus and needs a temporary child care arrangement
Well back-up care is not intended to provide care for an ill child.
- Those eligible for the program include University of Iowa faculty, staff, or students who require back-up child care to meet work, academic, or life responsibilities.
- UI recruits or visitors on campus for work or academic reasons also are eligible.
Ages of Children
- For all children six weeks of age to nine years of age
- For children with disabilities, age range can be extended based on the disability and the appropriateness of care.
Hours, Days & Location
- 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Monday through Friday, excluding these holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday following Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and when extreme weather forces Handicare to close.
- Handicare is located at 2220 9th St, Coralville, Iowa
- Complete and submit pre-registration/pre-enrollment forms to Family Services. The forms must be completed and received by Family Services two business days in advance of a parent requesting care.
- Request and reserve care by calling Handicare at 319-354-7641. State you are a University of Iowa affiliated family.
- Provide infant formula, diapers/pull-ups and a change of clothes.
- Notify Handicare if arriving after 6:30 p.m. and pay any late fees.
- Pay the back-up child care fee to Handicare the day the care is provided.
- Daily fee is $78 to $93 depending upon the age and needs of the child.
- Monthly fee is $970 to $1,200 depending upon the age and needs of the child.
- Late fee range from $25 to $40 (depending upon the age of the child). Late fees will be charged if a child is picked-up after 6:30 p.m.
No registration fee is assessed to University of Iowa faculty, staff and students.
- Request and reserve care by calling Handicare. at 319-354-7641 between the hours of 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- State you are a University of Iowa affiliated family.
- Request a reservation as soon as you know you'll need it.
- If a child care slot is available when a UI family contacts Handicare and if the care requested is appropriate and staff are available, care will be provided regardless of when the phone request is received.
- Prior to a reservation being finalized, a parent must complete and submit all required forms to Family Services.
- Care may be denied if the family in the past has reserved a slot, was a “no show,” and did not follow the cancellation process and/or did not pay the cancellation fee.
A cancellation fee of $25 will be charged to the parent if a reservation is canceled less than 48 hours of the requested/reserved care.
If the parent is a “no show” or does not cancel prior to the required 48 hours and does not pay the $25, future requests for care may be denied.