Download a PDF version of the 2022 Year in Review.
Note on dates: For 2021-2022, UHR shifted from calendar-year reporting to fiscal-year reporting. This year-in-review summarizes accomplishments since the 2020 report.
Future of Work
To connect with an ever-changing workforce, we integrated findings from the Future of Work initiative into permanent work practices.
- Issued Future of Work final report in April 2022
- Launched standardized Self Service application to submit work arrangements for ease of employees and leadership
- Created Future of Work micro-unit to oversee post-pandemic workforce arrangements
by eligible staff in pulse survey for employees who adopted flexible work arrangements
created to track monthly employment changes and support recruitment and retention
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Joining campus-wide efforts to foster inclusion, we took action that advances DEI.
- Sponsored 60+ foreign national employees for permanent residency
- Introduced Spanish-language versions of open enrollment guidebook and benefits options
- Revamped UHR website to enhance accessibility
- Sponsored DEI training for Senior HR leaders
- Translated recruitment materials into four languages (Spanish, Chinese [simplified], Chinese [traditional], and French)
- Completed CUPA-HR DEI Maturity Index with a group of HR professionals in fall 2021
Compensation, Payroll & Benefits
During FY 2022, we implemented compensation and pay practices that supported recruitment and retention, boosted employee morale, and rewarded professional excellence.
- Implemented incentive-based compensation for critical areas with difficult-to-fill roles
- Transitioned university back to single salary increase process
- Increased SPOT Awards to $300, up from $150 pre-pandemic
partnership on student-loan forgiveness tool
completion for 25% of orgs, streamlining operations
Well-Being & Mental Health
We continue to foster overall health and well-being for employees.
- Launched Emergency Hardship Fund to provide employees up to $1,000 for unforeseen expenses
- Introduced anonymous CAT leave program
- Distributed “We’re Here For You” swag at wellness events across campus
- Hosted mindfulness moments from liveWELL in Zoom meetings
- Launched Well-Being and Mental Health Collaborative
attendees at First Thursday wellness panels
We’re committed to enhancing workforce operations for a new era of work. Some highlights of operational achievements from across UHR departments.
- Integrated Faculty and Staff Disability Services and Employee Labor Relations to improve service to the campus HR community
- Implemented CMS Covid-19 vaccination and exemption requirements alongside UIHC with a campus completion rate of 97%
- Created 35 transaction training modules completed by 58 employees
- EAP sponsored Postvention Mental Health Task Force in partnership with Division of Student Life and Office of the Provost
- Conducted 10 presentations for campus administrators on recruitment and retention strategies
- Benefits implemented You Ask, We Answer online resource for open enrollment support
- Created first leadership newsletter with employee subscription list and hosted in-person leadership events
- Actively contributed to Iowa Now “Trending Topics” articles, generating more than 7,000 website views
- Deployed Universal Case Initiation Form to increase efficiency and accuracy of immigration service delivery
- Talent Acquisition received a $315,000 P3 Program funding award to implement external job placement service to increase efficiency and strategic support of dual career placement
- Implementation of OE review process to launch recommendations and hired new Senior OE Director and OE Director of Operations
share of users who rated online HR services satisfactory or higher
payroll and fringe benefits paid in calendar year 2021
employment authorizations obtained for UI foreign national employees
benefits calls answered from students, employees, and retirees
employees who received a performance review
clients assisted at new Welcome Center
new benefits enrollments processed