Welcome to the University of Iowa!
University Benefits provides information and education on benefits to all UI employees and departments. We are committed to supporting talent, engagement, and employee work experience and administrating a competitive, comprehensive benefits package to suit your and your family's needs.
Starting a new job can be overwhelming, with many things to think about and important decisions. Our office would like to help make your new hire experience as easy as possible. This webpage provides everything we think you may need or want to know about working life here at the University of Iowa.
As a new hire, you should receive an email from University Benefits to your uiowa account within your first week. This email will provide you with benefits information, pdf resources, and a recorded presentation. Please reach out to University Benefits at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive your benefits orientation email from us in your first week.
Benefits Overview Materials
We have provided the 2023 New Faculty and Staff Benefits Guide, presentation slides, and recorded presentation. Please feel free to start reading the information, printing off documents, and please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.
Benefits Overview Recorded Presentation
How to Enroll Online
Important Date Reminders about Benefits:
|1st of the month||You are eligible for benefits the first of the month following your hired date.|
Ensure you enroll in your new benefits online via Employee Self Service within 30 calendar days of your hire date. If you miss the deadline, you will not be able to enroll in benefits until the annual open enrollment period, which is typically late fall each year or if you have a qualifying event.
Dependent Eligibility Verification
Double Spouse Credit
|60 Days||Don't forget to select your retirement plan by logging on to Employee Self Service, selecting Retirement Enrollment under the Benefits section to make your election within 60 calendar days from your hire date. If an election is not made within 60 days from your hire date, you will default into IPERS, and you will not be able to switch plans at a later date. So give serious consideration to your retirement plan choice, as it is an irrevocable decision.|
|1-2 Business Days||You will be notified by email when final confirmation of your elections is available for your review, usually 24-48 hours of submission. If a correction is needed, follow the steps from your Benefits Confirmations page in Employee Self Service. You will have five days from your confirmation statement date to request a change.|
Your First Week at the University
Your HawkID/HealthCareID and Password
This is the time to learn and familiarize yourself with your HawkID or HealthCareID and password. These IDs are how you access Employee Self Service, online UI services, and applications such as Epic and your email on the health care side. If you have issues, visit hawkid.uiowa.edu or healthcareid.uiowa.edu.
- Employee Self Service is where you:
- Set up your Two-Step Login with Duo
- Enroll in your university benefits, verify your dependents' eligibility, and select your retirement plan
- Set up your direct deposit
- View your paycheck history
- View your vacation and sick time reports
- Submit flexible spending account reimbursements
- Access your compliances, training, and Learning and Development classes
- Find parking applications and waitlists
- Access to your ePersonnel file and so much more
Obtain your photo ID or badge:
Your ID card is your official campus and workplace identification. You can use your ID in several different ways: access to rooms or specific hallways that are assigned to your employment permissions, charging and payroll auto deducting meals from UI campus and UI Health Care cafes, and if you have a membership, you will use your ID card to access the recreational buildings.
The Iowa One card is the official ID card for the university campus. The Iowa One Card Center is located in the UI Service Center at 2700 University Capitol Centre (UCC). Office hours can vary, so it's always good to confirm hours before you go—call 319-335-2716. Also, don't forget to bring a driver's license or passport to start the process.
As a UI Health Care employee, you must wear a UI Health Care badge while you are on duty. More than likely, you will obtain your badge on your first day. You must bring a completed badge request form that you will receive from your HR representative. The UI Health Care Badge Center is located in C110 General Hospital and can be reached by phone at 319-335-2716.
Fill out all required paperwork:
- Within Employee Self Service:
- You can fill out your direct deposit for payroll and FSA reimbursements, your W-4 information, and set up any charging or payroll deduction.
- It would be best if you also verified that your name and address are listed correctly under the My Self Service link and then selected the Personal Information link.
- If you are driving to work and parking on campus, you will want to put yourself on the waitlist for a reserved parking spot. There is a monthly charge for this, and you can learn more about parking on and around campus by visiting the University of Iowa's Parking and Transportation website.
- From your Department or Hiring Manager:
- If you are a brand new employee to the university, your hiring manager should have you fill out an I-9 form.
UI Rec Services New Hire Benefit
As a new faculty or staff member here at the University of Iowa, you have the opportunity to use Recreational Services on the University of Iowa campus. Recreational Services would love for you to try out their facilities by providing UI new hires with four free visits to any of their facilities to see if the Recreational Services Incentive Program would work for you! Visit the Faculty/Staff Employee Visit Pass webpage to claim your four free passes.