To facilitate the placement of furloughed employees at the university, furloughed employees may use the following policy to secure regular, specified term, or temporary P&S non-organized positions:
- This policy applies to permanent furloughed employees who hold Career, Specified Term, At-Will, or Probationary status.
- Furloughed employees may initiate contact with colleges, divisions, departments, or laboratories across campus to determine what employment opportunities may be available.
- If a college, division, department, or laboratory has a position vacancy and would like to fill the vacancy with a furloughed employee, the unit may do so as long as the position has not been advertised on the Jobs@UIowa website. If the position has already been advertised or is currently being advertised on Jobs@UIowa, the normal recruitment process must be followed.
- If a college, division, department, or laboratory does not have a vacant position, but wishes to hire the furloughed employee, the unit can create a new position by completing a Position Change Form (reason: new position) and attach a copy of a local job description and organizational chart.
- Preliminary discussions between the employee and the departmental human resource representative or UI recruiter regarding salary and proposed start date will take place prior to offering the position to the furloughed employee.
- If a college, division, department, or laboratory has funding for a vacant position and intends to hire a furloughed employee using the Furlough Networking Program, the unit must complete a Transfer Form, a Furlough Networking Transfer (if the Furlough Networking Program was used), and attach a copy of the offer letter, job description, the furloughed employee’s resume or CV, and salary justification, if required. If the unit is hiring a furloughed Career Status or Specified Term Status (with more than two years of service in Specified Term Status) employee during their furlough period (12 months following the end of their furlough notice) the department must complete an Appointment Form, attaching the same documents indicated above, and respond “YES” to the question on the appointment form “Is this a furlough hire?” Answering this question is important, since it ensures that the employee's various benefits and eligibility dates may be reinstated.
Career Status permanent furloughed staff will follow university policy as provided in university policy III-3.1 d(5).
Specified Term Status staff who are permanently furloughed will be reappointed in Specified Term Status, except as provided for in university policy III-3.1, b(3) and f(1)(c).
Specified Term Status staff reappointed during the furlough period (12 months following their furlough notice) will retain Specified Term Status and their original Specified Term Status dates.
By accepting a transfer into a regular P&S non-organized position, a furloughed Career or Specified Term Status (with more than two years of service) employee will no longer have furlough priority (Career) or furlough consideration (Specified Term Status with more than two years of service) for regular P&S non-organized positions.
By accepting a transfer into a Temporary position, the furloughed employee will retain furlough priority consideration, if applicable, for Regular P&S non-organized positions until the furlough notice or furlough period ends. If the furloughed employee cannot successfully perform the responsibilities of the Temporary position, the furloughed employee will return to his/her former position and P&S status for the remainder of the furlough notification period.
All furloughed staff may request to make their resumes/CVs available to UI recruiters in the Furlough Resume Database. For Career Status and Specified Term Status (with more than two years of service in Specified Term Status) staff, this is a separate option from requesting interview priority or interview consideration.
Departments that find a qualified applicant prior to advertising their position on Jobs@UIowa may utilize the Furlough Networking Program to interview and hire the furloughed employee. If the hiring department would like to interview a a furloughed employee, the department will be responsible for scheduling an interview. To make a resume/CV available, a furloughed employee must contact Compensation and Classification (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask to initiate this option.
The Furlough Networking Program is limited to the furlough notification period for Specified Term (with less than two years of service), At-Will, and Probationary Status staff.