Eligible employees who hold regular appointments of 50% or greater can donate their accrued vacation hours to another eligible employee who is seeking donations. Sick time cannot be donated in place of vacation.
There is not a general pool that you can donate to; however, there is a list of individuals in need of donations. When submitting your donation form, you will need to include a recipient name
How much time can be donated
- For an employee's catastrophic illness or injury for themselves or a family member, donations are unlimited.
- There is a minimum of at least 1 hour to be donated.
- Donations are on a 1:1 ratio.
- Donated hours are irrevocably pledged.
How to donate
- Complete the correct donation form:
- Send your completed donation form (please ensure a recipient name is filled out) to University Benefits by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by campus mail to 120 USB.
After you have submitted your donation form
If you sent your completed form by email, you will receive a response from our benefits email team that we have received your form and it has been forwarded to the appropriate staff to process. If you send your completed form by mail or fax, you will not receive a receipt response from our office.
Note: The donated leave is not taken from your vacation bank until the recipient actually needs it.
- You will receive email notification when the donation is used
- It could be several months or up to a full year from the time you make your pledge until the donated leave is used
- It is possible that you will receive notification that part of your leave donation has been used. The remaining hours will continue as pledged for future use.
- If the recipient leaves the Catastrophic Leave Program, your donation form will be returned to you, and your hours are no longer considered pledged.
The names of our employees who have donated leave to recipients in need, are kept confidential.
Donations not used
If your hours are no longer needed, your donation form will be returned to you, and your hours are no longer considered pledged. Once hours are pledged they cannot be returned before the recipient leaves the Catastrophic Leave Program unless the donor terminates employment.