The American Psychological Association has identified evidence-informed strategies to navigate challenging times:
- Make connections
- Avoid seeing crises as insurmountable problems
- Accept that change is a part of living
- Move towards your goals
- Take decisive actions
- Seek opportunities for self-discovery
- Nurture a positive view of yourself
- Keep things in perspective
- Maintain a hopeful outlook
- Take care of yourself
Featured Resilience Videos
In response to the growing uncertainty and heightened stress during this unprecedented time, we have created several new videos to help you navigate. Find additional video resources from liveWELL and its wellness partners.
Top Ten Ways to Build Resilience
Resilience and Self-Care During COVID-19
The Resilient Leader
Dealing with Conflict
The Purpose of Purpose
Sprinkles of Self-Care
Emotional Awareness: Honoring Your Emotions
Coping, Problem-Solving and Communication
Adaptability or Responding to Life's Curveballs
Research and Resources
- American Heart Association Resilience in the Workplace (pdf)
- American Psychological Association Resilience Help Center
- Coronavirus Anxiety Workbook: A Tool to Help You Build Resilience During Difficult Times (pdf) provided by Jamma International
- Seek support and assistance from an EAP counselor
- Learn how utilize flexibility to reframe thought patterns and tap into a strengths-based approach to working through obstacles in a free, 4-part series called Resilience 101.
- Work with a health coach.
- Enroll in a self-care program for caregivers.
- Seek assistance from the Office of the Ombudsperson.
- Participate in focused training opportunities through Learning and Development.
- Learn more about resources to help with communication at the Conflict Management at Iowa website.
liveWELL can provide presentations to UI work groups on a variety of topics. If your department or area would like us to present on a topic, please fill out this form. We request at least 6 weeks notice and we require an audience of at least 12 UI employees.