Building Resiliency @ Iowa
Resilience is defined as the ability to effectively respond to challenges and move forward in a positive way. Today more than ever, resilience is a skill that is needed in the workplace. Highly resilient people cope well with adversity and learn valuable lessons from challenging experiences.
Skill Building Videos
Staff from the University HR units of UI Employee Assistance Program, Family Services Office, and UI Wellness have distilled key points from the workshop series into short videos. We encourage you to view these individually or as for discussion at departmental meetings.
- Work, Life and Well-Being (4:12)
- Self-Care During Your Busy Day (3:17)
- Emotional Well-Being (4:09)
- Adaptability (2:39)
- Personal Sustainability (4:21)
- Building Resilience at UIowa (3:49)
- Happiness (3:01)
- Emotional Awareness: Honoring Your Emotions (3:05)
- Coping, Problem-Solving and Communication (5:03)
- What is Self-Care? (3:48)
- Tips for Dealing with Conflict (2:44)
- Emotional Intelligence and Resilience (3:04)
- The Power of Positive Self-Talk (3:03)
- Purpose of Purpose (3:57)
- The Resilient Leader (3:56)
Skill Building Workshops on Resilience
Any of the following skill-building workshops can be tailored to your department's unique needs and can range from 30-60 minutes. We prefer if there are at least 15 employees in attendance to come to your area to deliver a workshop. To arrange for a workshop please email email@example.com and we will reach out to tailor your experience.
- RESILIENCE IN THE WORKPLACE - A departmental best practices guide highlighting skills for individuals and teams to navigate change, utilize resilient styles of communication, and receive education on what we can and can’t control.
- POSITIVITY AND WELL BEING - A toolkit of skills to address performance, self-confidence, and stress as it pertains to being resilient.
- THE PURPOSE OF PURPOSE - Having meaning in one’s life and work is a necessary trait of resilient individuals. Learn ways to redefine yours.
- THE RESILIENT LEADER - The Resilient Leader is designed for established and emerging leaders as they respond to challenges and changes on the University of Iowa campus. The 60 to 90 minute workshop looks at how leaders can be role models for resilience and instrumental in creating a resilient team.
- HAPPINESS AND OPTIMISM - Focuses on the science of happiness, engagement, relationships, meaning and achievement.
- EMOTIONAL AWARENESS - The ability to know what you're feeling and why is often easier said than done. Learn skills to manage your emotional experience for positive results.
- SELF CARE AND STAYING HEALTHY - Intentional actions (often called habits) to take care of your physical, mental and emotional health are ways to build resilience.
- PROBLEM SOLVING AND COMMUNICATION - Skills on coping, overcoming adversity, and clearly communicating with sensitivity to avoid problems before they start are main focuses of this informative workshop.
Research and Resources
- American Heart Association Resilience in the Workplace (pdf)
- American Psychological Association Resilience Help Center
- Request on-site skill building seminars for work groups; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seek support and assistance from an EAP Counselor
- Work with a Health Coach
- Participate in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Programs
- Enroll in a self-care program for caregivers
- Seek assistance from the Office of the Ombudsperson
- Participate in focused training opportunities through UI Learning & Development
- Learn more about resources to help with communication at the Conflict Management at Iowa website