Embed Well-Being and Mental Health
- Include well-being regularly in Departmental meetings. Use content from the Mental Health at Iowa website or a liveWELL Well-Being Toolkit.
- Use the Departmental Well-Being Checklist to promote opportunities to practice health and well-being at work.
- Explore campus activities as a team such as Discover Your University.
Are you looking to infuse mental health and well-being into the day-to-day culture of your department? Use the suggested activities and instructions in the provided toolkits to encourage conversations and practice skills for well-being. These activities range from 5-20 minutes in duration and can be led by your department’s Wellness Ambassador or anyone who is interested in facilitating an activity for your department. If you have questions on how to tailor an activity to your group, liveWELL is here to help.
Request a Well-Being Workshop
liveWELL, Family Services and UI EAP provide well-being and mental health workshops to departments that focus on increasing skills for healthy behaviors and well-being. We appreciate at least six weeks notice to schedule the workshop with an available staff member and a minimum of 12 attendees. If your work group is small, consider combining a request with a partner program. If we are unable to accommodate your request, we will consult with you about alternatives to presentations and training to support well-being in your department.
Improve your well-being by developing habits that fit within your life. Following habit science and implementing the principles of habit design will help set you up for success with a healthy lifestyle.
- Learn the science of habits and the steps for behavior design.
- Identify the aspirations that are most important for your well-being.
- Develop an action plan to implement at least one healthy habit.
Meal Planning focuses on sharpening your skills and boosting your confidence in planning practical, healthy meals. Learn the steps to successful meal planning and simplify a process that works for your lifestyle.
- Consider factors that impact a successful meal plan
- Apply strategies that help streamline the meal planning process
- Identify examples of quick, healthy meals
We’re all familiar with the benefits of physical activity, but how do we fit it into our busy lives? Uncover personalized strategies to break through common barriers to exercise and set realistic fitness goals to get your body moving. Dedicating just 5 minutes to physical activity can lead to a healthier, more energized you!
- Create tailored strategies to overcome physical activity barriers.
- Learn tips and tricks for incorporating physical activity into busy schedules.
- Develop realistic, attainable goals around movement and exercise.
- Participate in a short movement activity.
Don't forget your vitamin G! A regular gratitude practice can lead to greater well-being, appreciation, and joy. Learn practical tips for ways you can infuse more gratitude into your daily life.
- Understand the proven health benefits of practicing gratitude.
- Learn examples of how to express gratitude in work and life.
- Practice two different tangible gratitude activities.
Does your team know about all the wellness resources available to them? Learn about the broad range of UI well-being programs and services and how they can be accessed.
- Understand holistic well-being
- Learn what the University provides including EAP & family services
- Understand the benefits of taking the PHA
This workshop is designed for established and emerging leaders as they respond to challenges and changes. The workshop looks at how leaders can be role models for well-being and instrumental to creating a thriving team.
- Learn how personal strengths influence preferences for stress management techniques.
- Identify additional effective methods for stress management.
- Understand the difference between empathy and sympathy when communicating with teams.
- Increase awareness of resources to support well-being of self and teams.
Humans are hardwired to move through challenges. We all can build skills, resources, and protective factors to support our mental health well-being during times of stress and change.
- Understand a basic definition of resilience and identify what resilience looks like to you.
- Learn evidence-based strategies to support skills for resilience.
- Develop an action plan for protective factors to buffer stress and promote well-being.
Juggling work and home life can be overwhelming, leading our own needs to be put on the back burner. Identify quick wins for self-care and emotional well-being.
Boundaries are key to healthy relationships — with yourself and others, at work, and in your personal life. This Employee Assistance Program (EAP) presentation will identify what boundaries are, why you need them, and how to set them — including different contexts and situations we encounter at work and home. Various boundaries and communication styles will be reviewed.
Emotional Intelligence (EI) contributes to success at work and in your personal life. In this Employee Assistance Program (EAP) presentation, learn ways to understand your own emotions and the emotions of those around you.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will guide you through this basic training to increase your understanding of the warning signs of suicide and how to be helpful to someone in crisis.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will teach you about sleep, insomnia, and provide tips to improve your sleep.