Payroll Topics

  • Address Change

    Information and guidelines to keep your residing and campus addresses up to date.

  • Advance on my pay

    Payroll Services is not authorized to give you an advance on your next paycheck unless you weren't paid, were not paid correctly, or have terminated employment with the University of Iowa. (Reference Salary Advances, University Operations Manual)

  • Benefits

    The University Benefits Office provides comprehensive benefit-related services for faculty, staff, students, and retirees. This includes health, dental, life, disability, accidental death and dismemberment, long term care, health and dependent care spending accounts, retirement plans, leaves of absence, catastrophic leave and donations, workers' compensation, vacation, sick leave, and a web based enrollment system. For information visit the Benefits website.

  • Contact Information

    Please contact us if you need our assistance.

  • Direct Deposit

    Direct deposit is mandatory.

    Your paycheck will be deposited on your payday unless payday falls on a weekend day or a holiday. If your payday is a weekend day or a holiday then your paycheck will be deposited on the first banking day after the weekend or holiday. For instance, if your payday falls on Saturday then your paycheck would be deposited on Monday, unless Monday is a bank holiday, in which case the deposit would be Tuesday.

    To set up or change your bank information, go to Employee Self Service to complete an interactive direct deposit form that will electronically update your payroll records. For additional instructions on setting up your direct deposit, please refer to the PDF icondirect deposit instructions  (pdf).

    You may distribute your pay up to a total of three direct deposit accounts. Multiple Direct Deposit Accounts must be set up or changed on Employee Self Service. Please visit the multiple direct deposit FAQs for more information.

    Direct deposit accounts cannot be set up for banking institutions outside of the United States.

    Deadline for changes: 12:00 noon four business days prior to the payday.  

    For additional information contact Rox Schomers, 319-335-2803.

  • Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)

    Departments with new hires and rehires beginning employment on or after April 1, 2010, must complete the Form I-9 in person with their department representative using the I-9 Management System. The form must be completed within the first three days of paid employment. Additionally, certain situations may require an employee to reverify employment eligibility (section 3 of Form I-9). Please refer to the Faculty and Staff Immigration Services website for more information or contact Payroll Services, Denise Fuller, 319-335-2387, or Marianne Stratton, 319-335-2420.

  • Extra Compensation

    If an employee or an employee’s department requests that an extra compensation payment be paid outside of the employee’s regular payroll, then the payment is subject to supplemental tax withholding.  Supplemental withholding rates are 22% for federal tax and 6% for Iowa tax. If appropriate, social security and Medicare tax will also be withheld at 6.2% and 1.45%.

    For example, if an employee who is normally paid on the first of the month makes a request for extra compensation to be paid by an off-cycle payroll, the tax will be withheld at the supplemental rates. If the employee elects to have the extra compensation payment paid with their next monthly payroll, the tax is computed using the graduated withholding tables. 

  • Fellowship Payments

    For individuals who receive fellowship payments through the University of Iowa Payroll Services, review the Fellowship Payments rules that apply.

  • Garnishments

    The University of Iowa adheres to all the regulations regarding all types of garnishments. For information on child support garnishments, contact Marianne Stratton, 319-335-2420. For all other garnishments, contact De Benoit, 319-335-3426, or June Lester, 319-335-2383.

  • Gift Certificates

    Gift certificates of any amount given to an employee may have tax implications and should be reported to Payroll Services. The PDF iconTaxable Items Work Sheet for Payroll Services (pdf) can be used for the reporting. Gift cards cannot be given to reward employee performance. Gift cards given to an employee cannot exceed $100 within the calendar year. Please reference Cash Awards and Gift Certificates, University Operations Manual for additional information or contact Terri Hein, 319-335-2374.

  • HR Transaction System

    Most human resource forms are initiated in the HR Transaction System. For help with determining which form to use, contact Kate Hilsman, 319-335-3829, or Katie Villhauer, 319-335-2380.

  • HR Unit Representative

    Your HR Unit Rep is an excellent resource for questions you may have about your employment. You can find your HR Unit Rep by clicking on "My HR Unit Rep" on Employee Self Service.

  • ID Cards

    Your University of Iowa Photo ID Card is your official identification card, providing access to facilities and academic services across campus. For information about your ID Card, please visit the Iowa One® Card website.

  • Identity Theft and Tax Fraud

    The University of Iowa encourages all employees to remain vigilant and pro-active in protecting personal information.   

    Two-Step verification is a way to further protect user and institutional data by requiring something in addition to the pairing of username and password to authenticate the user before allowing access.  In 2017 setting up the Two-Step verification became a requirement for all employees seeking to access their personal information from Employee Self Service both on and off campus. The Two-Step Login website has additional information and instructions about the verification process. 

    The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has developed a new website related to identity theft.  The easy to use website includes guidance related to next steps based upon different types of identity theft (not just tax fraud), sample letters, contact information for different accounts such as investment, student loans, utilities etc. In addition, the Iowa Department of Revenue has information on their website regarding identity theft and reporting fraud.

  • Jury Duty

    When an employee receives compensation from the clerk of court for jury duty service, they must reimburse the University of Iowa for their time away from work. Jurors are paid a daily rate plus mileage. The daily rate amount should be turned over to the University. The employee should restrictively endorse the check from the court by writing "Pay to the order of the University of Iowa" and signing their name on the back of the check. The check should be sent to Payroll Services, 120-30 USB, along with the employee's name and ID number. If the payment includes mileage, the employee should cash their jury duty check and then write a personal check to The University of Iowa for the amount of the jury payment, excluding mileage. Send the check to Payroll Services, 120-30 USB. (i.e.; for county court, two days of jury service would be $60. Grand jury and federal court payments may be a different daily amount than county court). For additional information, contact Marianne Stratton, 319-335-2420.

  • Lost or Damaged Payroll Checks

    If your paper payroll check is lost or damaged, you will need to contact the Payroll Services Office to report it and to request a reissue of that check. The replacement check will be available for pick up at Payroll Services Office 120-30 USB.

  • Name Changes

    Name changes for current or former students must go thru the Registrar's Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and can be done by following the instructions on the Request for Change of Name form.

    Faculty/Staff (who are not a current or former student) should sign in to Employee Self Service to make name changes. Please refer to the information and guidelines for additional information. 

    Federal regulations state that the name on your payroll payments and W-2 should match your Social Security card. You must change your name with the Social Security Office before changing your name with the University of Iowa. The Social Security Administration Office is located in Suite 100 at 1100 6th Street in Coralville.

  • Nonresident Alien Taxation

    The University of Iowa adheres to all tax regulations in regards to nonresident alien and resident alien status. For more information, contact Xuefen Zhen, 319-353-2460 or Katie Villhauer, 319-335-2380.

  • Overpayments

    When an active employee is overpaid the amount of the overpayment will be deducted from the employee's next check. If the amount of the overpayment is greater than the next check, a letter will be sent to the employee regarding the remaining overpayment. The balance due will be sent to University Billing and payment(s) will be made through that office.

    If the overpaid employee is no longer working at the university or is on an extended leave, they will receive a letter from Payroll Services regarding the overpayment. The balance due will be sent to University Billing and payment(s) will be made through that office.

    Once the overpayment is paid in full, all necessary adjustments to the employee's earnings and taxes withheld will be made. If the overpayment is not paid in full in the same calendar year as the overpayment occurred, the W-2 issued in the year the overpayment occurred will not be correct.

    If the overpayment is repaid in a different calendar year than when the overpayment occurred, the employee will receive a corrected W-2 for adjustments for Social Security and Medicare taxes if appropriate (the corrected W-2 is for the employee's records only). They will also receive a receipt for the amount repaid and this will need to be attached to their personal income tax return for the year in which the overpayment was repaid.

    Please refer to the Best Practices Guide to Prevent Overpayments for additional information or contact June Lester, 319-335-2383.

  • Pay Adjustments

    Your paycheck on the first of each month is for your salary earned the previous calendar month. If you are eligible for overtime, shift pay, etc., these pay adjustments are paid one month in arrears. In other words, on December 1 you are paid for your November salary, and overtime adjustments from October, if you are eligible for these pay adjustments.

  • Paycheck Deductions

    Certain deductions are made on employees' checks. Some university offices initiate the deductions or adjustments. For specific information about:

  • Paycheck Earning Statements (Paycheck Stubs)

    Employees may access and print copies of their earning statements (paycheck stubs) from the employee self-service site. These statements are listed in “View Paycheck History” under the Payroll Tab of self-service. You can view and print copies of the statements from this site. You will need to have Two-Step Login in order to access this information.

  • Paycheck Taxes

    There are four kinds of taxes we must withhold from your paycheck. Social Security tax is 6.2 percent of your salary to a maximum salary of $132,900 for 2019. Medicare tax is 1.45 percent of salary up to $200,000 and 2.35 percent for wages in excess of $200,000 paid in the calendar year. Federal and state income tax withholding are calculated based upon what you claim on your federal and state W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificates. On these certificates the more allowances that you claim the less tax that is withheld. If you claim zero allowances we withhold the maximum tax. Visit Payroll Tax for more information or contact Rachel Quinlan, 319-353-2097.

  • Payday Information

    Salaried employees are paid monthly on the first of each month. When payday falls on a weekend or holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the first of the month.

    Your paycheck on the first of each month is for your salary earned in the previous calendar month. If you are eligible for overtime, shift pay, etc., these pay adjustments are paid one month in arrears. In other words, on December 1 you are paid for your November salary and, if you are eligible for these, pay adjustments from October.

    Academic year appointments are paid in twelve installments—August 1 through July 1. New faculty are paid for two-twelfths of their pay on September 1 (for the months of July and August.) Semester appointments are paid in five installments. First semester is paid on September 1 through January 1, and second semester is paid February 1 through June 1.

    Hourly employees are paid biweekly on every other Tuesday. When the biweekly payday falls on a holiday, paychecks are issued on the first business day after the payday.

    You can find detailed information and payroll schedules for pay period dates, time record due dates and check issue dates under the Payroll Calendars section.

  • Research Subject Payments

    Please see UI Policy on Research Subject payments for more information. Research Subject payments are created using a Non-Services eVoucher in the ePro System.

  • Retirement Contributions

    University of Iowa staff members except students, medical house staff, fellows, adjunct faculty and temporary staff with short-term appointments of less than 6 months are required to participate in the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS), or in the university funded retirement plan with Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association Fund (TIAA). Review Pension Plans in the staff handbook for the annual contribution rates.

    Staff members may also elect to participate in the Voluntary Retirement Savings Program (VRSP). If you have more than one employer and have VRSP deductions from both employers, it is your responsibility to be aware of the limit amounts.

  • Rewards and Recognition

    Departments are encouraged to recognize staff member's accomplishments and achievements at the departmental level. For information visit Rewards and Recognition.

  • Savings Bonds

    The University of Iowa is participating in TreasuryDirect which is a program for purchasing electronic U.S. Treasury products, including savings bonds. In order to participate in payroll deductions for savings bonds, participants will need to open a TreasuryDirect account at Once your account is established you can then use Employee Self Service to establish your monthly payroll deduction in any amount you choose. Additional information is available from the Benefits Office.

  • SEIU Pay Adjustments

    Check with your supervisor to find out your comp time balances and what is included in "Adjustments to Pay" on your paycheck earnings statement. Each University of Iowa Health Care department is provided with a detailed listing of all pay adjustments for the pay period.

  • Self Service Password Problems

    Problems with your password can be easily corrected. Visit the UI Hawk-ID Guide for assistance.

  • Short Hours Form

    Graduate students may be exempt from FICA tax if their department completes a Short Hours Form and files that form with the Registrar's Office. To obtain the Short Hours Form, departments should call the Verification Department at the Registrar's Office, 319-335-0229. For more information about Student FICA tax exemption, please review the Payroll Tax Information.

  • Stale Dated Payroll Checks

    A paycheck is considered stale dated if it is held for a period of six months or more. At that point a bank is no longer obligated to pay on it. If you receive notice from your bank that they are unable to cash a check because it has stale dated or if you are still holding an un-cashed paper check dated past six months, you will need to contact the Accounts Payable Office to request a reissued check. They are located at 202 Plaza Centre One Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, phone number is 319-335-0115.

  • Student Employment

    The Student Employment Office is located in room 213 of Calvin Hall. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • Student FICA Tax Exemption

    Graduate students may be exempt from FICA if they are registered for 0-2 credit hours or more and if their department completes a Short Hours Form indicating that the student is engaged in research in fulfillment of a degree requirement, writing a dissertation or thesis, or preparing a prospectus. This form must be registered with the University Registar's Office. Find more information on the Student FICA tax exemption on the Student FICA information site.

  • Summer Session Courses Compensation Instructions

    These PDF iconSummer Session Instructions (pdf) provide departments/colleges with guidance on initiating HR transactions forms for summer session appointments for faculty, professional and graduate assistant employees.

  • Termination of Employment

    Salary earned in your final pay period will be paid on the normal pay date. For example - if you terminate in November, your November salary will be paid on the December 1 paycheck. Payout of your accrued unpaid vacation, qualifying sick time (up to $2,000 for unused accumulated sick leave if you are age 55 or older), compensation and overtime hours are generally disbursed as a separate payment typically on the pay date immediately following your regular pay period. For example – if you terminate in November, your payout for unused vacation hours as well as November time record adjustments will be paid on the January 1 paycheck. These final payments will be deposited into your active direct deposit account or if no active direct deposit account, your paper check will be mailed to the most recent home address we have on file for you. Your department will revoke your access to computer networks, systems, email, and passwords upon your termination. Employee Self Service will remain available for 18 months, provided your password is kept current. If access is denied, follow the Help Desk instructions on Employee Self Service. Please remember to go to Employee Self Service site to make the necessary changes to your address so your W-2 tax form can be mailed to the appropriate place. Your final W-2 will be mailed to you prior to January 31st of the calendar year following your final paycheck. For example, if you terminate in November 2013, you will receive your vacation payout in January 2014 and you will receive your final W-2 from the University of Iowa in January 2015.

  • Vacation and Sick Leave

    Those at the university who accrue vacation and sick leave do so on a monthly basis depending on percent of time employed, pay basis, whether in a professional or merit status and, in the case of merit and SEIU employees, seniority date. Find more details about Vacation and Sick Leave Accrual and Usage or contact Rus Schomers, 319-335-2378, or Dan Schropp, 319-335-2382.