The University of Iowa is required to ensure that J-1 and J-2 family members have adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of their stay in the United States. In addition, the University is concerned about the potential threat of high-cost health care which may pose a challenge to your financial wellbeing. For this reason, the University requires that all unpaid J-1 scholars purchase health insurance (Dental insurance is voluntary) through the University of Iowa.

UJ-1 and J-2 Available Medical Plans

Please review the plans that are available for you and your family. These options cannot be waived and the University will not accept alternate plans. You and your family members must be on the same plan. Your coverage will always begin on the first day of the month and end on the last day of the month.

Health Insurance Options

Dental Insurance Options

Dental insurance is voluntary and your coverage option is based on the health plan you elect. If you are electing dental coverage, the Student Dental Plan is available for those enrolling in SHIP, and the Dental II plan is available for those enrolling in UIChoice or UISelect.

How to Enroll

Please note, that if you are a paid J-1 scholar on the university payroll, you will enroll in your benefits through your department.  

Fill out the pdf enrollment form and submit it directly back to the ISSS Office. 

Unpaid J-1 and J-2 Family members Enrollment Form

Paying for Insurance

Insurance premiums are billed on a monthly basis. Student insurance plan rates are effective from Sept. 1 to Aug. 30. UI employee health and dental plan rates are effective from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 each year.  

To pay for your insurance, you will have a choice of either:

  1. Receiving a university bill sent to your Iowa address that will need to be paid each month to the UI Billing Office by check, cash, or money order;
  2. Or you may choose to have your monthly premiums withdrawn from a financial account from a local bank or credit union by filling out the University Billing Office's Automatic Withdrawal Authorization form (pdf)

The university is not able to access international addresses or financial institutions.

University departments and programs may choose to pay for J-1 Scholar and/or J-2 family insurance premiums even if the scholar is not on a paid appointment; interested departments may contact ISSS for more information. 

Note:  University health insurance premiums cannot be prorated. If a J-1 Scholar arrives mid-month, they will be responsible for paying the whole premium for the entire month of coverage since it is mandatory to have health insurance coverage immediately upon arrival according to the appointment start date. This will also apply when the scholar departs mid-month; They will be responsible to pay the whole health insurance premium for that entire month to maintain coverage throughout the scholar's duration here. 


ABOUT OUR SITE: The information presented on our website describes only the highlights of the plans and does not constitute official plan documents. Additional terms and conditions apply. If there are any discrepancies between the information contained herein and the official plan documents, the plan documents will govern.