Overview and Benefits Enrollment
The Benefits Office encourages all new house staff to complete enrollment within 30 days of the contract start date. Enrolling is a simple, two-step process:
- Review your benefits information.
- Use Employee Self Service to complete or review your benefits enrollment.
Benefit change request due to a family status change
(Follow directions for Faculty and Staff)
If you matched or received a letter of intent on or after 1/1/2013, you and your qualified dependents are eligible for the UIChoice Health Insurance plan.
- Group Life Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance for your spouse/partner/dependent
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Liability and Malpractice Coverage (GME Office)
If you matched or received a letter of intent prior to 1/1/2013, you and your qualified dependents are enrolled in the UI Classic Health Insurance plan for House Staff members. The UI Classic Health Insurance plan is closed to new enrollees.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Travel Assistance Programs - Domestic Travel and Personal International Travel
- liveWELL - access to a variety of wellness programs, incentive programs and additional information on stress management, nutrition, weight loss, exercise and other health resources.
- Employee Assistance Program - EAP provides brief counseling and assessment for staff.
Per state law, House Staff Physicians are exempt from participation in the University's required retirement programs. (Exception: Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS) or TIAA retirement plan - Fellow Associates only)
- Voluntary Retirement Savings Program - open to all House Staff who receive earned compensation reportable on IRS Form W2 and subject to federal and state withholding.
For information on purchasing insurance after employment ends or during unpaid leave of absence: Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
Dual University of Iowa employed spouses/partners and any children may not double insure each other or dependents under the plans where the University contributes towards the cost of the plans. This includes the health, dental, and AD&D insurance policies - an individual may only be included once under these policies.
Double Spouse Credit for health and dental insurance is available if the dual-employed couple are eligible for the UIChoice health insurance plan and are also covering dependents.