Veteran and Military Families
- Family Services has DVDs for families to help young children understand deployment, homecoming and the grieving process. If you are interested in checking one of these out, please email Family Services or call 319-335-3558.
- The Employee Assistance Program provides family and individual counseling to UI employees and their families. This confidential service is available at no cost and is provided by caring, licensed professionals. For more information please call 319-335-2085 or email email@example.com.
Student Information and UI Campus Resources
Family and Caregiver Resources
- Military One Source: A 24/7 resource for military members, spouses, and families to help with education, relocation, parenting, stress, and much more
- VA Caregiver Support: This website and support line serves as a resource/referral center for caregivers, veterans, and others seeking caregiver information; provides referrals to local VA Medical Center Caregiver Support Coordinators and VA/community resources; and provides emotional support. The caregiver support line is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 855-260-3274.
- Services for Caregivers of Post-9/11 Veterans: Additional VA services are available to seriously injured post-9/11 veterans and their family caregivers through a program of comprehensive assistance for family caregivers.
- National Resource Directory: National Resource Directory is a federal government website that connects wounded warriors, service members, veterans, families, and caregivers to thousands of services and programs at the national, state, and local levels that support them during recovery.
Child Care and Family Resources
- National Guard Families: For National Guard families seeking child care financial assistance call 800-424-2246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Military Partnerships Program: For families in other branches of the military
- Military Kids Connect: Website for parents and educators to explain difficult topics of the military lifestyle to children
- Our Military Kids: A national organization established to help assist National Guard and Reserve families with the costs involved in extracurricular activities. National Guard and Reserve families with a deployed service member may apply for grants of up to $500. All grants, upon approval, are paid directly to the group or organization providing the service. Families can access the application by visiting this website.
- United Through Reading Military Program: This program helps ease the stress of separation for military families by having deployed parents read children's books aloud via DVD for their child to watch at home. Please refer to the website for program locations and more information.
- Joint Services Support: The JSS portal is sponsored by the National Guard, designed to serve as a resource and information link between families, service members, volunteers, and educators. When you register, you will receive regular updates on new resources available to those working with military children and families. Once registered, you also will have access to key contacts throughout the state who can serve as resources for you.
- Army Reserve Family Programs
Local and National Resources