Each experience is tailored to best fit each student’s personal interest in health promotion, specifically programming in a worksite setting. This includes programs that impact the environment and culture, help people reduce behavioral risk factors, or are designed to keep a healthy population healthy throughout their time as University of Iowa employees. One major project will be the cornerstone of the internship/practicum experience.
Examples of areas that a student may participate include:
- UI Health Fair development
- Health Coaching introduction
- Marketing and communication
- Social media
- Health screenings including blood pressure, body composition, and cholesterol
- Website content development and review
- Community outreach
- Programming for special populations
- Educational presentations
- Health awareness campaigns
- Collaboration with Family Services
Guidelines/Requirements for Applicants
- Preference will be given to students with experience and/or coursework in health promotion or a health-related field.
- Interns are expected to make a one semester commitment:
- Practicum time commitment = course credit
- Internship = flexible based upon student/program needs
Time requirements will be reviewed with supervising faculty and adjusted if necessary.
- Office hours are required but flexible.
- Business casual attire is expected during office hours.
- Positive health habits are expected during practicum/internship commitment.
- This is an unpaid practicum/internship. No stipends, meals, or dormitory housing is available.
To apply for the UI Wellness Internship/Practicum Program, complete the required paperwork which includes:
- Internship/Practicum Program Application (pdf)
- Cover letter (include specific goals and objectives)
- Resume (include GPA and course highlights)
- Three references (academic and professional) to contact (not letters of reference)
Fall consideration: Application must be received by May 3.
Spring consideration: Application must be received by November 15.
Submit application and required paperwork via email or US mail to:
The University of Iowa liveWELL program
c/o Erin Litton
E119 Campus Recreation and Wellness Center
309 S. Madison Street
Iowa City, IA 52242